Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm getting into the hobby after lurking around the forums for a bit and viewing all the amazing aquariums that other hobbyist have. We just getting settled in our new home so I thought I finally have a space to setup a my reef. I purchased a 150 gallon cube aquarium from another member on the forum and I'm finally getting to work on it. So feel free to tag along as I am sure I will have tons of questions to ask along the way.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So this is setup is probably going to take some time to get off the ground because I want to make sure that I am doing things right. So I decided to go get some 1 Inch Schedule 40 PVC Pipe and begin to dry fit the drains within the overflow. This aquarium came with 2 pre drilled holes and the Dorso Piping. But after doing some reading I have decided to use both holes for the Herbie Method drains. The aquarium is located in the family room right next to the television and I want to ensure that it is as quiet as I can make it. Also I want to ensure that their are no floods. So I figured this would be the best method to go with. 1 standpipe is being used for the primary drain and 1 standpipe with be used for the emergency drain. As for the return piping, I will get to that after I finish with the drain piping and decide on which return pump I am going to use. What does everyone think so far?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
You'll need filter socks. You also don't want pvc going into the sump (how would you remove it from the sump if you need to?).

Stop the pvc 6"(ish) and use soft tubing so you can move/remove it if needed.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You'll need filter socks. You also don't want pvc going into the sump (how would you remove it from the sump if you need to?).

Stop the pvc 6"(ish) and use soft tubing so you can move/remove it if needed.

Yes, I will be ordering the appropriately sized filter socks for that sump (it uses two 7 inch rings if memory serves me correctly). But the pipes themselves are not cut yet into the sump as I want to determine the correct water level for the protein skimmer. Once I know that I will have the piping cut to only go 1 inch into the water to help reduce the noise of the water flow. Also I can completely remove both sets of pips as I have unions installed for that purpose.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I Need To Learn Some Plumbing.

Apparently moving into a new home comes with many new places to put things. But my wife would kill me if I left a multi-stage RO/DI water filtration unit within plain sight. So I need to install the RO/DI filtration unit underneath the sink inside the bathroom. The only problem is I don't know exactly what to ask for at Home Depot other then saying I want to run a refrigerator water line from this to the RO/DI unit. If anyone can let me know what parts I need to specifically ask for that would be helpful.

friedwilly

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you get the BRS RODI unit comes with most of what you need. The only recommendation I could make is do not use a saddle valve for your supply, they tend to leak over time.

I have a very similar setup. I installed a "T" off of the cold supply with a lever valve to turn the supply on and off to the RODI.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you get the BRS RODI unit comes with most of what you need. The only recommendation I could make is do not use a saddle valve for your supply, they tend to leak over time.

I have a very similar setup. I installed a "T" off of the cold supply with a lever valve to turn the supply on and off to the RODI.

That is what I'm actually wanting to do but wasn't sure of the actual part names.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Every Ocean Needs Some Sand.

So call it a personal dislike but I can't stand to see an aquarium without a decent sand bed for your critters to burrow into. So I have added approximately 300 lbs. of aragonite sand to the aquarium to give a nice deep sand bed.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

If I remember correctly, the herbie drains have one that's a full siphon and the other is a emergency drain. If so, I'm assuming the one with the ball valve is the full siphon. You may want to swap them. I believe that one should be as direct as possible with as little 90* elbows as possible. Also, The two outputs on that line may also give trouble. It's been a while since I've read up on this, so I may be wrong here. :scratchch also, a gate valve would work better that a ball valve. it'll give you more control.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: