A

Anonymous

Well, tonite when I was looking at my tank with a flashlight, I noticed this tentacle-like thing streched out from a hole in the rock to another point, totalling about 4-5 inches.

The best description I have of it is that it looks like a translucent green rubber band with the tip forming into a T shape. It is quite slender, about 1/4" wide and stretches out about 4-5". I cannot catch a picture of the thing due to the fact that once I locate it with the flashlight, it pulls back into the hole.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

horge

Advanced Reefer
Hi E,

Sounds like a solitary tentacle of a Terresellid 'Spaghetti' worm. A pic would be real nice. Green is a fairly unusual color for the numerous tentacles of these beneficial, tube-dwelling worms.

You also can do a search on Nemertean 'Ribbon' worms to find a pic and check if that's a possibility.

horge

Emperator

Advanced Reefer
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try to snag a pic of it someday (if i am quick enough).

Now that i've been looking at it for over a week, it looks like a long green translucent lizard tongue.

MedicineMan1

Advanced Reefer
I'd be more inclined to think it's what is commonly called a "peanut worm". Totally reef safe, not to mention they add to your biodiversity!
icon_biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

I agree that it is a peanut worm. I have an abundance of them in the new tonga brach rock that I got as well as the larger ones in the fiji. They are beneficial to the system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: