Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Green Paly Question

I have green palythoa's and I was just wondering if anyone could describe what I would see happening to coral LPS, Softies, SPS etc if green paly's were releasing toxins.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Dre
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
I have never heard of Palys releasing toxins in the water column that causes damage to other corals. Even when I remove a bunch I see no ill effects.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre View Post
I have never heard of Palys releasing toxins in the water column that causes damage to other corals. Even when I remove a bunch I see no ill effects.
Thanks for your input Dre. I was asking because I'm currently watching some LPS in my tank slowly but surely shrivel away and die. I've done numerous tests on my water and nothing really seems to be out of whack there. This was my latest guess. I had actually seen a post on another forum where someone had massive death in his tank overnight after removing brown palys so I was curious if maybe me pulling hair algae away from the green palys I have in my tank could've triggered the release of toxins and that it could slowly be killing my LPS. Assuming this would lead to a few questions I'll try to answer them now.

Yes, water params checked out (with somewhat low alk that has since been corrected)
Yes, I've done large water changes to try and get things back on track but hadn't seen improvement.
No, my lighting hasn't changed.
No, my salt hasn't changed.
Yes, I use RODI water.

In any case, I've probably gotten a bit off topic. I was just curious if members on here had chemical warfare result in previously happy corals receding slowly but surely.

I've since removed the green palys and stored them in another small tank and put in chemi pure as my next attempt at saving my coral.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Dre
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
I've watched corals die off without palys. How about your skimmer? Is it working efficiently?
If your skimmer isn't working properly your corals can die due to polluted water.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I have green Palys in my tank and have not seen any bad effects on other corals. My lps and sps were all status quo/ not so great until I started using an auto top off with kalkweiser and everything has been doing great since then. I think it was adding the consistency to my tank that helped. I don’t know if this helps at all....
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre View Post
I've watched corals die off without palys. How about your skimmer? Is it working efficiently?
If your skimmer isn't working properly your corals can die due to polluted water.
I don't run a skimmer in my tank. The tank is pretty highly stocked and I'm working on trimming that down to try and lower the load but the frogspawn that I had that was beautiful and opened is slowly head by head shriveling up. Very strange any additional thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsfish View Post
I have green Palys in my tank and have not seen any bad effects on other corals. My lps and sps were all status quo/ not so great until I started using an auto top off with kalkweiser and everything has been doing great since then. I think it was adding the consistency to my tank that helped. I don’t know if this helps at all....
Thanks I've been pretty consistent with my top offs and water changes so I'm not sure that's the problem. I've never used kalkweiser before though.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Send a Private Message
As for the palytoxin convo this talk was very interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgolj7laZQY