Clean up crew eating birdsnest?

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I recently added a clean up crew and I've started to notice that portions of my birdsnest coral are disappearing. Initially I thought maybe it was just the lower portion of the coral due to lack of light penetrating that far down. But I'm now noticing some of my hermit crabs on the coral and I just noticed spots that are exposed to the light disappearing. Are my hermit crabs eating the birdsnest polyps? Has anyone experienced this?

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My peppermint shrimp has eaten my hammers. How big are your hermit and which species

Scarlett?s and blue legs. I had both previously and nothing happened. I got a new batch and I think it?s the small blue legs causing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meherbas

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
IME hermits are there just cleaning up algae or tissue that is already dying , wrong place wrong time. What?s your chemistry like? Pics of the birds nest?

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
IME hermits are there just cleaning up algae or tissue that is already dying , wrong place wrong time. What?s your chemistry like? Pics of the birds nest?

I?ve changed two things recently. Added the clean up crew and changed my lighting (to something a little brighter). The top portion of my birdsnest is doing just fine. But the bottom portion is disappearing. I also noticed recently that it appears as tho some of the frags I have are losing random spots in the middle of a branch. So it?s not coming from the base or the tip.

And I just caught these two going at it again.

I?ve moved these two into a cup for now.

And here?s a pic of the coral itself.

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Well, it has gotten much worse. But only this coral (and almost all frags of it) seemingly out of the blue. Alk is 9-10dkh, cal is 420, ph is 8.4, temp is 77. Any additional thoughts? Seems weird that it only effected this coral which was growing like crazy up until this point.

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Here?s a fun update. I ran some more tests and noticed my nitrate has spiked quite a bit. Turns out even though I hadn?t changed anything (same feeding, water changes etc) my pump to my GFO had died. I?ve since fixed that issue. Hoping to see recovery once the nitrates drop back down.

Featured Sponsors