Mandarin

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Is there a reason other than pod availability that a mandarin would be losing weight? I?ve had my mandarin for over two years now and he?s starting to look skinny. That being said I have pods crawling all over my glass. I was wondering if there was something else that might be the culprit that someone could point to. I bought some brine shrimp yesterday but he showed no interest in those. He is constantly eating off of the rocks, sand bed and glass so it?s not that he?s not trying to eat. Just wanted to hear any other thoughts.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xanderax1

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Preparing for summer ....
Might want to recheck water parameters ...temp /ph swings usuall parasite culprits. Mandarins my have that slime skin... resistance to this and that but doesnt make them immune. They seem always eating so can understand your concern. Observe from afar that its not being harrassed.

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Preparing for summer ....
Might want to recheck water parameters ...temp /ph swings usuall parasite culprits. Mandarins my have that slime skin... resistance to this and that but doesnt make them immune. They seem always eating so can understand your concern. Observe from afar that its not being harrassed.

Heh I wish he was just prepping for summer.
Temp has been consistent. PH might be something I should check out. I only have one other fish (clown) and he doesn?t seem to care about the mandarins existence ( my hand however he?ll attack any chance he gets )

xanderax1

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Might try some black worms. Rare that a fish rejects them. Paul swears by them. He has been dealing with fish longer than some people have been alive.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Might try some black worms. Rare that a fish rejects them. Paul swears by them. He has been dealing with fish longer than some people have been alive.

Any potential issues adding black worms to a tank? Also does a typical lfs carry them?

xanderax1

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Readily available at petland. Wash them fresh water. (Hint not saltwater.)
No expert in black worms. Paul B is the one to send messages to. He on here give a search. I feed them randomly most never hit the ground,no bad long term effects noticed. Then again im not doing it over 30 years like others have.. Fish gobble them. you dont empty all just feed enough . For two fish the littlle cup they sell will last several days. Plus all natural unlike some stuff sold. You can even "grow" them if you want. Google black worm feeding.

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just wanted to double check. The black worms I?d find somewhere I assume are alive and not some frozen form. Correct?

xanderax1

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Correct. Also they have frozen and dried for emergencies or the fish sitter's sake. Alive is the preference.

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Correct. Also they have frozen and dried for emergencies or the fish sitter's sake. Alive is the preference.

Thanks. I?ll have to check out a few stores and see what I find. For now I?ll keep putting the brine shrimp in.

SteveZz

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just found a post by Paul B where he said he doubted mandarins would eat many due to the short period of time they survive in salt water. Wonder what his opinion here would be.

Featured Sponsors