Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Reefer Ratings: (29 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o View Post
8 ave and 54st next to Chase bank place is called reef aquarium its the best store in this part of Brooklyn
I stopped by there yesterday, If you drive there, I suggest NOT to take 8th ave instead take 7th or 6th and then look for a spot NOT on 8th ave. The store is nice, the guys working there not soo much, I asked for a couple of prices on the frag tank, and they gave me two different prices for the same item, a piece that to me was worth about $50, a guy told me $80, and then another guy told me $55. They do have a stocked store, lots of healthy fish and corals, as h20 says, it might be the best store around, I just didn't like the attitude of the guys I was dealing with.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
I visited this store not long ago but didn't talk to any salesman but I was at another store on 8th ave, just a couple blocks from this one and I was shocked. I will never go there again, dead and dying fish, many of them and the sales woman doing nothing. horror......
Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
h2o
Wanna be clown fish pimp
Reefer Ratings: (42 (100%)
Friends: (28)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoq View Post
Hmm, never been there, must check it out someday.
Yeah they got a sweet display tank . Go when the sun is down because most of the day sun is coming trough their window and u can't see a thing . And the display is packed with sps mini colonies
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
h2o
Wanna be clown fish pimp
Reefer Ratings: (42 (100%)
Friends: (28)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolissimo View Post
I stopped by there yesterday, If you drive there, I suggest NOT to take 8th ave instead take 7th or 6th and then look for a spot NOT on 8th ave. The store is nice, the guys working there not soo much, I asked for a couple of prices on the frag tank, and they gave me two different prices for the same item, a piece that to me was worth about $50, a guy told me $80, and then another guy told me $55. They do have a stocked store, lots of healthy fish and corals, as h20 says, it might be the best store around, I just didn't like the attitude of the guys I was dealing with.
Yeah parking is wack but the great part is I never pay the sticker price always get some $ off , even if the price is good I still negotiate and from time to time will go home with a deal
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (39 (100%)
Friends: (31)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o View Post
Yeah parking is wack but the great part is I never pay the sticker price always get some $ off , even if the price is good I still negotiate and from time to time will go home with a deal
yup. Ken's a good man, he'll give you a good price on pieces that you may want. I go there all the time.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Send a Private Message
Damn i get get to know Ken then!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Update.
I believe the "Aquariums" store on 80th st just off 5th ave in Bay Ridge is closed. A couple of days ago I saw a few guys removing tanks (dirty as hell) from the store and loading them to a van. I was passing by the store today and it was closed.
I guess their business model didn't work out. What a pity. It would be nice to have a fish store in the neighborhood.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
are there any stores in the park slope area?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownlover View Post
are there any stores in the park slope area?
8th ave and 50 something is your best bet. You can then walk to 8th ave and 65th st. Coral theory in williamsburg is definately worth the trip with the train if you can't drive there.