Status
Not open for further replies.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Price wise and store condition (tanks and stock super clean and Healthy animals) the store is amazing. they had better prices then wholesalers. As for the way it"s first come first served was handled, a bit disorganized and slightly disappointing. They were opened before 10:00 which is good for early customers, But the number system was poorly managed. They were not keeping the numbers after it was called. Had people taking numbers that were already called because the individual would give the number to someone else and they would be served. I also witness some customer come in and state they needed to leave and they had a high number and was also served before other customers that were patiently waiting to be waited on. These are things that happen sometimes that can be fixed. But still disappointing to experience. One vendor here was the culprit of the using someone else number to skip the 30 people that were waiting before him. That's so disappointing.

Recap.
Amazingly Clean store with healthy animals and great prices. Since it was my first time going there to buy it was a little disappointing. But I'm sure it was the Black Friday craziness. I'm sure that the everyday purchasing experience is probably a very pleasant one though.

I can agree with you... It was a bit chaotic.

Alot of People got skipped, numbers where not really honored.
On a typical day they are very attentive and will get you any fish/invert you wish.
Honestly today they did not have too much variety (specilly wrasses) I gave my ticket away as I was leaving( hope some one enjoyed it) ....i was disappointed.

On a typical day prices are great staff is friedndly and if you call and ask they will even tell you when they will receive their shipments . Today was just bananas

@dace: You should try to make it out there on a regular day.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Price wise and store condition (tanks and stock super clean and Healthy animals) the store is amazing. they had better prices then wholesalers. As for the way it"s first come first served was handled, a bit disorganized and slightly disappointing. They were opened before 10:00 which is good for early customers, But the number system was poorly managed. They were not keeping the numbers after it was called. Had people taking numbers that were already called because the individual would give the number to someone else and they would be served. I also witness some customer come in and state they needed to leave and they had a high number and was also served before other customers that were patiently waiting to be waited on. These are things that happen sometimes that can be fixed. But still disappointing to experience. One vendor here was the culprit of the using someone else number to skip the 30 people that were waiting before him. That's so disappointing.

Recap.
Amazingly Clean store with healthy animals and great prices. Since it was my first time going there to buy it was a little disappointing. But I'm sure it was the Black Friday craziness. I'm sure that the everyday purchasing experience is probably a very pleasant one though.

I had a similar experience. I also figured I missed out on alot of good stuff getting there at 1pm like I did. It wouldnt stop me from going back again.

Alfredo De La Fe

Yeah, the number system was very disorganized, especially considering how many people that had working! But aFernandez- This was my first time going to this place and I found it had more variety than ANY other LFS I have been to in YEARS. What time did you get there? I got there around noon.

The prices were INSANE. I just wish I had been served when I should have been, I did not know about the "number system" until I had been waiting about 20 minutes for someone to help me. Then when I got my number, others that came in after I got mine would get lower numbers that were "reused". I missed out on two corals I wanted because someone that came in about 45 minutes after me got to them first.

I did get a nice sea fan (NOWHERE near as big or nice as the one that I missed out on!), I picked up 3 bangai cardinals, 6- scarlet hermit crabs, 6 "ninja star" snails, a sand sifting star, a bunch of bumble bee snails and a rock of bright red mushrooms. Again, not the one my daughter had picked out or that I wanted, because someone got to them before me that came in after us.

They had very little in the way of interesting SPS.

Anyway, I can't complain too much. This is my new favorite place!

Alfredo

Dace

Advanced Reefer
I got there around 9:45. place was already packed. I'm not going to Judge this place entirely on this experience because i Know how crazy an event like this. I had number 15 it was almost 11:00 and they were only on number 8. I do have to say that the people they were taking care of were buying alot of stuff, What turned me off was seeing one person at the counter explaining that he had to leave when he was there way after me and the next thing you know i see him getting what he wanted. But the ultimate was when a vendor here tells me he has number 30 something, Next thing you know 40 minutes later he comes back with number 6 and states that he had stepped out and his number was called, I look at him in disbelief. At this point i see that he is being taken care of. To put the icing on the cake the only item i was going to buy which was a blonde naso ( they had plenty but only one small which was what i wanted)he takes. So i tell him, at this point they were up to Number 13 three numbers from me, so i tell him, dude you should let me get that fish. You know you were not number six. He really didn't know what say and walked away. At this point i was totally disgusted with the things people can do and gave my number away. As i started to leave he must of felt guilty and gave me the fish to purchase.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Actually by noon there up to at least number 36, i was $36.

I got there around 9:45. place was already packed. I'm not going to Judge this place entirely on this experience because i Know how crazy an event like this. I had number 15 it was almost 12:00 and they were only on number 8. I do have to say that the people they were taking care of were buying alot of stuff, What turned me off was seeing one person at the counter explaining that he had to leave when he was there way after me and the next thing you know i see him getting what he wanted. But the ultimate was when a vendor here tells me he has number 30 something, Next thing you know 40 minutes later he comes back with number 6 and states that he had stepped out and his number was called, I look at him in disbelief. At this point i see that he is being taken care of. To put the icing on the cake the only item i was going to buy which was a blonde naso ( they had plenty but only one small which was what i wanted)he takes. So i tell him, at this point they were up to Number 13 three numbers from me, so i tell him, dude you should let me get that fish. You know you were not number six. He really didn't know what say and walked away. At this point i was totally disgusted with the things people can do and gave my number away. As i started to leave he must of felt guilty and gave me the fish to purchase.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
I came home with 4 beautiful wrasses, a lovely spot foxface, millenium foxface, emperor angel, couple of firefish, all black clown fish and corals and if I post how much it cost me, everyone would call me a liar.

Please folks, do not be disappointed, Maximum Reefs Aquatics has the best prices around and not only on fish.

I spent $25 on a Kent Marine feeder and felt I paid a fair price, stupid me!!!! Maximum Reef Aquatics sells it for $19.00, they sell equipment at better prices than my 12 year favorite website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont get what you want this weekend save your money and go back in two weeks. If you want something "rare" they will help you with that too and it will be cheaper than with anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@alfredo .I got there 940 (also time said they oped at 10am I walk in store is packed) ...I got the number 14 I just remember giving it away as I walked away. It was just such a turn off since theres so much chaos. I've been to the store alot and I've seen better variety from them (my honest opinion) that's y I say that. I love the store and they have the best fish prices by far.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
and hope anyone caught reselling for a profit gets banned, they bought stuff others might have wanted and paid a fair price for.... actually excellant price to turn around and have someone try to make extra off them... ive been going to this store since day one when they opened at prior location

myblock175

A.K.A TECH KING
I got there at 9:15 and I did get a little annoyed but I'm gonna go back tomorrow to rack up on a couple of things. They still my guys at max reefs but I have to be honest and say last year was way better as far as livestock. But still their prices are unbeatable. I saw at least 3 vendors there buying stuff though

I know a few vendors personally and they keep reefs & fish only tanks....so what's so wrong about vendor being there.... they are reefers I hope you guys know.

I doubt a vendor would buy to re-sale .I'm pretty sure they get better prices than the sale. In case they do ...that's what they do buy cheap sale at a profit ....i don't know what the big deal is.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
afernandez,, vendors have been caught doing it, and if your a vendor you can buy from a wholesaler, why go to a store and buy,,, i mean i know why, but to me when a store is having a sale, for someone who can buy wholesale to come in and buy a ton of stuff and causing regular members not to be able to get stuff, and who cant buy the discounted wholesaler price, you think it is right or fair ? and they wasnt there to stock their personal tank

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
I go to this store very often and is very different experience then today. I was there at 10:00 and was packet already and I have seen staff running crazy to help customers best as they can. And about skipping the line is not there fold I just thing is the some of our fellow reefers just can't wait like rest of the people in line!

I understand your point 100% . I only saw one person there with a huge list and I don't know who that person (maybe he was a vendor again i don't know him)

It was just coming off like vendors can't be at a store to buy...I think that's rediculous .
I know what your saying they avoid shipping,taxes and cherry pick, fees and so on.

I do think it's wrong for a vendor to buy 42 yellow tangs and 30 clowns in a sale like this
Don't get me wrong but if I'm a vendor (which I'm not) I also love this hobby and I think I would be able to buy at anything in any store.(not planning on becoming a vendor or even close to being one) just to clarify to any one reading this .
Just wanted to get that Point out there . Again I know vendors that keep beautiful reefs and it would b wrong for some one to look at them wrong or feel a certain way just because he/she is a vendor. Just saying.....

Alfredo De La Fe

Hey, it is a business. If someone can buy fish from them and resell them, more power to them. We are not talking about a free giveaway or a hobbyist selling frags for $5 and a vendor snatching them up for resale, we are talking about someone buying from a vendor.

If I had the space I certainly would have bought stuff for resale! And I am no longer a wholesaler! (I dabbled in wholesale for about 18 months) Their prices were very good and the quality of the fish was great. (I am 99% sure I know their supplier and they do an INCREDIBLE job collecting and shipping)

Alfred

and hope anyone caught reselling for a profit gets banned, they bought stuff others might have wanted and paid a fair price for.... actually excellant price to turn around and have someone try to make extra off them... ive been going to this store since day one when they opened at prior location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: