Status
Not open for further replies.

cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
So after reading some negative reviews about Maximum Reef I decided to take the drive and check out their stock again today. I've gone several times (sale and non-sale dates), including when they were at their old location. Everytime I've gone I've had nothing but good things to say, but then again I've always dealt with Ivan when I've gone.

My experience today:
I arrived at the store and browsed through the tanks. I see a nice piece of gsp (yes gsp - lol) in one of the tanks where everything was marked $35. I wait for one of their employees to become available and ask to buy the gsp. Their employee goes to the back and a few minutes later the owner (spanish guy) comes over to me and says that the piece is not for sale. Although I'm not sure what the piece is doing in the "for sale" frag tank if its not for sale, I'm reasonable and can understand if he doesn't want to sell something (deep down I can't really understand it, but hey it is what it is)...

I continue to browse and see a tank with dime sized hippo tangs that caught my eye. The hippos were clearly marked on the glass "Small Blue Hippo - $18" on the tank. After spending some time observing the fish I pick the fish I like and ask the employee to pack the fish for me. After the employee packs the fish I go to pay at the counter where the owner was arguing with another customer. When he is done I hand the owner a $20 bill to pay for the fish and he abruptly tells me the fish is $25. So I thought maybe I misread something and walked back to the tank where the fish was taken out of and again it cleary says "Small Blue Hippo - $18." Again I walk to the counter and tell the owner that the hippo is marked $18 on the tank. He walks to the tank with me and I show him the price he had marked. He then proceeds to turn to me and to tell me that the fish is $25 and asks me "Do you want it or not?" I politely said "No thank you." and walked out of the store. That's the last time I'll buy anything from this store.

It's not always about the price you pay for an item. It's about paying for the service you are recieving as well. As a paying customer I don't want to be treated like garbage and be put in a position where I have to haggle with an owner to try to get them down to honor their clearly marked prices. Why spend close to an hour commuting and pay close to $15 in tolls and $20 in gas to be treated in such away? Quite frankly I rather pay the higher prices so long as I know I'm dealing with people who are honest, honorable and of their word. If something is marked a certain price, that price should be honored - period. I find it incredible that a vender here would do something like that to a customer.

Oh, and let me not forget to menton the other customer who was there arguing with the owner as I was waiting to pay. He had called earlier in the day and asked that a fish be held for him so that he could pick it up that same day, only to arrive at the store after traveling for an hour and paying multiple tolls (which he clearly told the owner as I was waiting to pay) to find the fish he had been told would be held for him had been sold. And what did the owner have to say to him "Well, we get another shipment in this Sunday, come back then." - Very nice.

Thanks, but no thanks Maximum Reef.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Wow and the reputation has began to collapse before our very eyes!!!! If it was my shop I would called someone over to reprice the tank , apologized and honored the pricing error just to make sure that person left my store saying wow !!! That guy did the right thing by me!!!! I guess this is why sooo many people choose shops carefully

I appologize, I meant to say Hispanic, not Spanish. Either way, race is not an excuse, business is business and a customer is a customer

Absolutely right, was Ivan related to the new manager ( owner) ? Never got to meet him, but I was there for the Black Friday sale and everything was in great shape even tho he wasn't there.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Lol deadbeats.. Don't worry.. They wont be around for long.. I see plenty of "experts" go from o e job to the next and always claim to be good at what they do.. It's fun watching them fail especially when it's well deserved..
I'm glad u handled the situation well..
It's funny someone brought up the spanish thing.. Iguess they are right the "Spanish" here have nothing to do w the Spanish in Spain.. But " Hispanic is s term made up by Americans that would really piss me off if I was south American..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: