Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete

Myself and Mojo Reef invented this Kent Tech method long ago. You are doing fine. However, I have no clue if you stop dosing Vinegar it wil have a better impact or not on the Bryo. We still have no clue why only Kent Tech works, other than some unknown substances in it. Lastly, the Internet has taken this method and has run off the deep end with it. Meaning, it DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK. It is a method that has worked for SOME.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thanks for info Boomer. I know that everything in this hobby is subjective, including sure-fire cures. Like most, I have tried other remedies. Hydro Peroxide seems to feed this stuff some how (it is thickest on frag plugs I have dipped). This seems to be a last resort for my system. It has been over-run with the bryopsis. I am fully aware that this may not work. I just don't want to unknowingly do anything that may compound the problem. That was my concern with the vinegar dosing. I'm just going to continue on this path and see how it turns out. Thanks again for your input. I'll keep the thread updated with my progress and results.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Thanks for info Boomer. I know that everything in this hobby is subjective, including sure-fire cures. Like most, I have tried other remedies. Hydro Peroxide seems to feed this stuff some how (it is thickest on frag plugs I have dipped). This seems to be a last resort for my system. It has been over-run with the bryopsis. I am fully aware that this may not work. I just don't want to unknowingly do anything that may compound the problem. That was my concern with the vinegar dosing. I'm just going to continue on this path and see how it turns out. Thanks again for your input. I'll keep the thread updated with my progress and results.
Dosing is another ........side effect, i use Biopellets ( 5 years) than i see lots of rose sponges (nothing wrong) all over under my rocks,not every corals love that kind of sugar, than Vinegar and YES i see more Bryopsis never got so much before, i have to stop, then one day the stupid timer never stop, i dosing 750 ml in one night, have to do water change every another day ( 50 gal. a day on 150 gal. tank) i will post some pics. now dosing Vodka, + 1/2 cup Biopellets, so far so Good. I check the PO4 sometime 3 times a day, few hours after i feed.
Upss. one more think, sand , in special DSB, will be a problem ( for sure) just google for reviews about dosing and DSB (or sand). I run BB.

Last edited:

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Mg was low at the start of this process, 1100. After first day of dosing it came up to 1200. Second day, didn't test. Third day dosing, 1200. Should have come up more by now? Gonna run PH, Kh, and Calcium tests.
Don't know if its related, water has a "pale" look to it. LR in DT looks like I've lost some color as well. One of my SPS colonies looks like the skin might be starting to bleach on one branch, still have PE and color.
I may have deeper issues.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
One thing with bryopsis is it will spread like crazt when you mag is low. When you bring up the mag it will slow down in growth with regular mag not kent. What i did was to bring my mag levels up using BRS mag till i hit 1350 to 1375 then i started adding the kent mag as to not to waste it. It is more money then other mag supplements.. When i hit 1800 started noticing the bropsis disappearing till i saw non was left. About 6 weeks after the bryopsis left noticed it was slowly coming back so thats when i added 2 emeralds and they took care of the new growth

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
One thing with bryopsis is it will spread like crazt when you mag is low. When you bring up the mag it will slow down in growth with regular mag not kent. What i did was to bring my mag levels up using BRS mag till i hit 1350 to 1375 then i started adding the kent mag as to not to waste it. It is more money then other mag supplements.. When i hit 1800 started noticing the bropsis disappearing till i saw non was left. About 6 weeks after the bryopsis left noticed it was slowly coming back so thats when i added 2 emeralds and they took care of the new growth

Good idea. I didn't even think to do that. I have some Seachem Mg I can use.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Still haven't run tests. Kinda "wingin it" here. Bryopsis is dying off. Has disappeared in some places. No noticeable adverse effects on any SPS or LPS. Some zoas and palys have bleached somewhat. I have been steadily dosing 1/2fl cup into the sump every day at lights on. I have no idea where Mg is at right now. Just keeping a close eye on things.

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Bryopsis is almost gone. Probably another week til it's all gone. Still haven't tested my Mg, or done a water change, or changes my filter socks, or any other tests for that matter. Got fresh batch of SW mixing. Definitely "wingin it" here. Have had no major adverse effects from dosing other than some tissue receding on an unknown name sps where dead bryopsis got stuck and rotted. Been dosing 1/2c every day. Have gone through 80oz of Tech M. Need to pick up more tomorrow. Carbon has been off line since the start. Vinegar dosing stopped after 3-4 days into it. I'll start again when I get through this.
Now, "How to get off this rock I've climbed"? Gonna start dosing every other day to wein it down.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: