BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just watched a YouTube video and a guy with a 400 gallon tank put yeast in there and it cleaned his tank. I used the search feature and nothing came up on here...basically has anybody else tried it because I'll be setting up a new tank soon and wondering if there's benefits to this.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was brought to my attention just two days ago by a friend. This species of yeast is not know to survive in seawater. Matter of fact there is only one know species that can. The dose is ?/? tsp / 400 gal and I find it hard such a small amount could do that much. The other issue I have is he sure it is Diatoms and not again mis-ID cyano. Next, just what the hell is it doing. Like I told my friend try it the dose is so low it shouldn't affect anything. Pretend it is a 50 gal tank. That would be ?/8 of ?/? or ?/?? of 1 tsp. Lol that is like ?/? of a aspirin tablet by volume. So, you are on your own.

1tsp is ~100 drops. So, ~25 drops by Vol for 400 gal. For a 50 gal that is like ~0.75 drops. Does that make sense in any way. And where the hell did he come up with that dosage. Maybe it is another Internet scam.

Last edited:

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
exactly,,the only thing I've ever heard yeast would eat is sugar! BUT the source is somewhat of a reliable source, they give plenty of advice and demo's via youtube and other sorts...although the fact they couldn't break down HOW that worked left me skeptical.
Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: