A

Anonymous

Hi Gang,

All right, we have put up a chat program for your use. This is a stop-gap measure, as this program is easy to use, but doesn't have the features of the program called MIRC, which we recommend. MIRC requires you to download and install a program, and we don't want everyone to have to do that for the first chat.

You should do it for the second chat though. We will post a page with instructions on how to do so.

So, on to the instructions:

Note that you will need a current "4.0 browser" to use this program, so make sure you have one of those.

Go to this page:
www.reefs.org/maco/course_2/jchat/index.html

If prompted, accept the "digital certificate"

Change the "nickname: which reads: "Newbie" to your name (firstlast). Click the Connect button.

You should be chatting in #maco.

Hopefully someone will be there to talk to you when you get there, so that you know you made it. If not, try back in a few hours.

That's all for now. You will need to be proficient in this for Wednesday's discussion session.

Cheers
James

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Hi James, tried to go to the link you provided for jchat/index.html but got message:applet chat class chat could not be loaded? should I try loading mirc? I'm running on netscape.

A

Anonymous

Hi again. Went to internet explorer and got thru to "newbie" and cliked the connect button,but I guess no one was there, so this java JPilotjlRC applet user does not work in netscape for me anyhow. I hope this mess of connecting everywhere clears up for me.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you got connected. In the future, try erasing Newbie, and using your name. Less confusion that way. No one appeared there because no one was in #maco at the time. Don't worry, we'll be there for the chats
smile.gif

It's really not rocket science. I just wish the applet would work w/ Netscape, but it doesn't. That's why we recommend MIRC. It works w/ everything.

HTH
James

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Go to this page: www.reefs.org/maco/course_2/jchat/index.html

If prompted, accept the "digital certificate"

I can get to the page but for whatever reason I'm not being prompted to accept the "digital certificate". Anyone know what's up with that?

I'm using IE 5.0

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Cole (edited 09 March 2001).]

A

Anonymous

You only have to accept it once per browser session. So, if you go there, then go back w/o quitting your browser, you won't need to accept it again. If you close your browser and reopen it then you will need to accept the certificate again.

I just saw you in #maco Dan, so it looks like you got it worked out.

Cheers
James

A

Anonymous

Thanks James...yup...I did manage to find my way in. I guess I have it all mastered now! Bring on the course.

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: