A

Anonymous

If there was an email telling us in advance what books we needed, I guess I missed it. I ordered the three books from Amazon, but it looks like it will take several weeks to arrive. Any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Someone posted a direct link with the publisher's names and phone number in the MACO questions/comments forum.

I would try them.

BTW, the required and optional textbooks are listed on the MACO pages at www.reefs.org/maco

HTH
James Wiseman

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Lecture 1 has recommended reading from Sorokin, but I have not seen this book on the required book list (even as an optional one).

As it is recommended reading, I'd like to read it, but I probably won't have time to get a copy. Amazon have it for US$82 but only on special order. So I don't think I'll be ordering it.

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

[This message has been edited by ATJ (edited 12 March 2001).]

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by desertreefer:
If there was an email telling us in advance what books we needed, I guess I missed it. I ordered the three books from Amazon, but it looks like it will take several weeks to arrive. Any other suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try Tuttle Publishing-800-526-2778-ISBN # 9625930787

A

Anonymous

Well, I ordered EIS part one from Tuttle publishing. I should get it in a couple of days. Part two won't be available until mid-April!?

My real concern is....how do I get my reading assignments done before Wednesday's discussion?

A

Anonymous

Just an idea. I'm not getting much from the downloaded B&W pictures. Could they be left out to speed up the downloading of text?

I know it would be an extra step to Xerox the pages, trim off the picture(s) and recopy before uploading, but may be worth it for the time savings to upload.

A

Anonymous

For many issues on this thread, see my previous post under the "Sorokin" thread.

Please do not be concerned about the reading material. You will have it, one way or the other, each week. James and i will make sure of it, so don't fret.

I don't know what to say about the various sources and publishers involved in these books. To say it has been troublesome is an understatement. In an ideal world, the books would have been available and easily recieved. But, we cannot control the business practices or efficiencies of these various companies. Would that we could, and if you guys think you are frustrated, you should know what we have been through...Calls to Jakarta, emails, trying to pull strings, etc. The other option, of course, would to have been to pick a text in full stock at all major booksellers. the problem is, such a thing doesn't exist. To choose a text available, but comparatively worthless to the class, would be a disservice to each of you.

Trust me, please....you will have everything on schedule...if your books come or don't come, come flood or high water, it will be done.

Coral Biology is not something that is a standard class anywhere, and unlike last MACO, with invertebrate zoology (which is regularly taught at univeristies) no standard text exists. Originally, we had planned to contact the journals and authors of various sources and beg permission to use parts of their works to combine it for your use. Thankfully, we have not had to do this, and what results is, by comparison, no trouble at all. LOL

Eric

A

Anonymous

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by desertreefer:
My real concern is....how do I get my reading assignments done before Wednesday's discussion?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my prior post, above, there is a link to the reading material for this week. Click on it & you'll browse to a directory of .pdf files. The files that start with "eis" are the required text pages. You can print them for easier reading if you want. You are required (honor system) to buy the texts before accessing them there.
Brittlestar

A

Anonymous

Whoa, stop the presses. You are NOT required to finish the Reading #1 by wednesday. This first week is introductory. Eric will have to confirm this, but the first reading does not need to be completed until a week from tomorrow.

I am getting the first assignment scanned and online slowly but surely. It's surely enough for everyone to get started.

James

------------------

A

Anonymous

Well, I ordered EIS part one from Tuttle publishing. I should get it in a couple of days. Part two won't be available until mid-April!? For your info-I ordered the Book on March 5- it was shipped either March 6/7-and I received it yesterday-March 13-wagontrain was slow !! Hopefully yours will come quicker ! Good luck.

My real concern is....how do I get my reading assignments done before Wednesday's discussion?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A

Anonymous

You don't have to have it done by tonight....by next Wednesday.

Eric

A

Anonymous

Re:textbooks. First, these books are fantastic. I have a lot of books on corals and reefs but these are great for the future.

Second, for those who still don't have their books, and don't want to download, you might try your local fish/coral store to see if any of their employees have them you could borrow. That's what I did. My books won't be here for another 3 weeks, but a guy at my lfs had both and has let me borrow them to start the course.

A

Anonymous

Wait, lemme get this straight.

One of the ppl at your LFS has the Ecology of Indonesian Seas books? Now that sounds like a good LFS!

Cheers
James

------------------

A

Anonymous

James...
Yes, one of the ppl at my local had both books. When I told him about this course and the delay in getting the books he offered his until I get mine. This guy knows Eric and said this was going to be a really good course. Guess I'm just lucky. But I'd rather be lucky than good any day.
Cheers
**** aka Reefbug

A

Anonymous

Thank you for clearing that up Eric; I wasn't sure when we were supposed to be done. My boss will thank you, I've been nodding off in the afternoons
wink.gif

~Alice

------------------
Reefkeeping is my life; I can't afford a hobby too! www.thereeftank.com a friendly place to learn!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: