Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have a nepthea tree in my tank (see pic) and it has since become encrusted to the rock it's laying on. I wanted to move it so I could stand it up. Is it alright for me to rip it off the rock after it's attached itself to it? The tree is much bigger than in this pic when opened. I just don't want to hurt it or worse, kill it.

attachment.php

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Is it attached to the rock in multiple places along its 'stem'? If so, you would want to try and take a tiny piece of rock off with it along those points where it has attached or it will slime very badly (and possibly kill the coral) where you tear it from the rock :(
Best bet is to also try and clip off a piece of the rock where the base of it should be so that you can attach it elsewhere, much easier than the rubber band method.

Last edited:

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Ok, thanks. To me that means I'll leave it where it is. The stem has attached itself to the rock in 3 or 4 places.

As I stated the tree opens up a lot bigger than the picture shows. The picture was taken after the light was on for a few minutes. It looks 1,000 times better now. I'll post a better picture later.

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
And that's why I rarely buy from my LFS. I didn't think it was a nepthea tree as they had listed but I really liked the look of it. I have ready alot about the care of leathers so I didn't think it would be an issue to take care of even if it wasn't what they stated it was.

It has plenty of flow. I laid the stem across the rock so it doesn't have anywhere to go but to flop (I wish I hadn't done this.) After it opens it isn't as floppy. It also gets a good amount of flow from the koralia 4 in my tank.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
:sigh: RTFL

1st link
The most common colors seen are brown, yellow, whitish, and occasionally green. The green color morph is pictured below.

2nd link
Feel free to ignore all the obvious non green colored nephtheas and focus on mis-identified corals. ;)

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Ok...
I'll be serious..:shhh:

What you're linking are species in the Nephtheidae family.
Going by common names, your 1st link is combining Cauliflower, etc. so yes, there will be different colors but we both know a Cauliflower leather looks different than the hobbiest "Nepthea" we know.

You may be right & I agree it the leather pictured above MAY be in the Nephtheidae family...but it is not as known as common Nepthea.

Same as the 2nd link...."Nephtheidae" species, but since it has Xenia labeled as a Nepthea, you lost your valid source there.:D

The Stereonepthya is in the Nephtheidae family too, but you don't call it Nepthea, you call it "Purple Thingie"...lol

So again..
what species of the Nephtheidae family do you think the above coral is?
;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: