Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I fragged my green finger leather on a plug yesterday and today when I came home i saw some brown stuff on it... any ideas how this can happen?

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
looks like its rotting n diatom algea growing on it. try increasing water flow. a dip in Revive or similar may help.

Please do NOT use Revive on a leather coral - that is for stony corals ONLY!!

Did you glue the leather to the plug? That's a no-no with leathers. You can use a variety of methods including gently rubber banding it to a piece of rock rubble until it self-attaches.
At this point you may as well leave it and see how it does. You could gentle wipe off the brown gunk with your finger and put it in an area of low medium flow. Once a leather is shocked they tend to close up for a few days and then shed their 'skin'. Quite normal.
If it unattaches itself from the disk, please don't re-glue it but use another method of attachment.

Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i tried the rubberband method before but it didnt look like it was working well... I used krazy glue because I had a number of people tell me its safe... I just hope this green leather makes it. I added some iodine in my water the recommened amount. I guess time will tell.

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i fragged my leather once and it closed up and had some kind of slime around it for a while, but one day it all opened up and was all fine.
give it some time and see how it does.

TOTAL AQUARIUMS

Chief of the Tang Police
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you don't like rubberbanding them you can always pierce it with a toothpick and either glue the toothpick down or cram it into the rock you want to attach it to. Leathers are pretty easy to frag and mount once you get the hang of it. It does take a decent amount of time for the fragged leathers to self attach to new mounts though so maybe when you rubber banded it you weren't patient enough?

Mangas50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is how it looked with the rubber band

This is how it looked with the rubber band sort of looked like i was choking it

Attachments

• IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 124
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It's fine, you just severed it from the parent colony and you're worried about choking it lol. Seriously, though it's fine. if you are worried you can lodge a small rock or something under the band to relieve some of the pressure on the actual coral.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It's fine, you just severed it from the parent colony and you're worried about choking it lol. Seriously, though it's fine. if you are worried you can lodge a small rock or something under the band to relieve some of the pressure on the actual coral.

lol...

I think he's trying to say you don't want the rubber band so tight that it will cut the newly fragged piece in half (again...)

nick

Softcoralreefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I frag my spaghetti leather finger all the time. I tried rubber bands, pinching it with a clam shell. They all either come loose or split the frag again. You are better off with the needle and thread idea that reefman mentioned. Its very easy and it works! You can also try putting the leather frag between two rocks and wedge the all together in the sand. If you have sand to work with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: