basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have an 24 gallon Aquapod with 65w PC. Had mostly candcanes. Now I have a candycane with 10 heads, one with 20 heads, a hammer with 10 heads, a wall hammer about 4 inches long and a couple single heads of frogspawn.
They seem to stay the way they are with no growth. They look nice but I would like to see some new heads every once in a while.
Do I need more light? Do I need to feed them directly and if so how?
Right now I just feed the fish.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I have noticed with the growth in my tank is the levels need to be in check and alot of corals depend ont eh cal to grow out of the exco skelton like the ones you have listed also you can feed some zoo plyankton or other verities of food

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
raise the temp a little, and slowly. higher temperatures causes faster growth becaust the metabolism goes up. The only thing is that the skeleton will not be made as strond because it is being made faster which you shouldnt realy have to worry about with those corals. Say you keep the temp at 75 bring it up to 78 or 79 you will notice a difference along with making sure that the water paramaters are all in check. low nitrates and phosphates defanitely help with faster growth and better coloring

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I have experimented with a lot of different ideas from MR, from a lot of people.Here is what works for me. Make sure your calcium is at least 450 at all times. Feed at night. Here's my feeding technique-
1-shut all lights except for moonlights.
2-Shut the flow/power heads.
3-wait a few minutes, then tease them with a taste of the food, fed directly with a turkey baster.
4-wait for the tentacles to come out. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes if you have placed the food directly onto the animals.
5-Once the tentacles are out, feed away...give them a lot of food, they will eat more than you think.
6-Leave the flow off for about an hour, this should be more than enough to let them finish.
7-Turn the flow back on. If you don't have a skimmer, hold a net in front of the intake grating to collect the uneaten food.

As for the food- I use 1 cube each of frozen brine and mysis shrimp, plankton, this stuff called emerald entree. I also add, on a rotating basis, a cube of squid, baby clam, or octopus. I also add a little bit of lettuce, use whichever kind you like, but it has to be ground into a paste. I mean really turn it into smushy,pasty, almlost liquidy-stuff. I defrost the frozen stuff a little bit with tankwater, then dice, dice, dice it up using a razor blade. It has to be diced for a few minutes so that the pieces are tiny. You can also add phytoplex or something similar, but you don't need a lot. I put the mixture in one of those small chinese food containers, and fill the container with tankwater. Mix it up good, so everything is thouroughly mixed in to the water. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 of the container, then freeze the leftovers and repeat 3 to 4 days later. I can post pics of the process, if you want.

You will get a bunch of different methods from different people, and I look forward to reading them all.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
once antics are one spot feed them with mysis, most lps dont seeam to feed as much doing the day but if you watch them once lights are out or just antics on you will see their feeder tenicles start to come out

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have an 24 gallon Aquapod with 65w PC. Had mostly candcanes. Now I have a candycane with 10 heads, one with 20 heads, a hammer with 10 heads, a wall hammer about 4 inches long and a couple single heads of frogspawn.
They seem to stay the way they are with no growth. They look nice but I would like to see some new heads every once in a while.
Do I need more light? Do I need to feed them directly and if so how?
Right now I just feed the fish.

Spot-feed them at night with cyclop-eez or mysis. Or even the small Formula 1 pellets.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I use rod's coral food and some mysis, fed at night, with pumps/PH's off, and shot directly into the open coral(LPS) once the tenticles are out.....The lower the lighting, the larger the polyp, as it is expanding to get "more light"....you can move corals around the tank(height) to see how this effects them....the most obvious coral ive noticed is candy canes, which get much bigger when lower in tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: