DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Do sun corals need low light? I just bought a black sun and in order to feed it i'll need to use a bottle over it or the scavengers will steal all the food. I don't have a shaded spot where I can fit a bottle over it so i'd like to just put it in my sandbed out in the open if possible. What does everyone think?

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i had a sun coral beautiful piece like 40 heads.. and part of it was uner shade and part wasnt..the part that wasnt died off real quick and left a skeliton... eventually the rest slowly died, but the part in the light died off real quick... hope that helps..

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have a black sun coral that I have jutting out of the side of my lr. Its pretty much out in the open under direct light. I have always kept it there bc its easier to feed. Its under 14K 150w MH. It had 2 heads in october now it has 7+

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Its like mid tank.

DSC05707.jpg

I also have a yellow one that I had under a cave area, I just put it on top of my high LR so I can target feed it easier. Its been ok so far. It opens up beautifully when its hungry.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
also dont put it directly on the sandbed bc the tissue on the polyps touching the sand will start to recede. You need to be a little more careful handling the black sun coral and they seem to be a bit more delicate than the yellow.

I remember when I first got it a crab dropped another frag on it and the black tissue turned white on the side of one polyp! I was so upset! After a few days it healed itself but Im sure it was traumatized. :(

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
light has absolutely no effect on sun coral. it doesn't hurt them, but it doesn't help them either. the ONLY IMO reason to keep them in the side is to prevent algae from growing on them, but that shouldn't happen in a healthy system anyways. I keep mine 2" from the surface of the water with no adverse effects and good growth. The only reason why its up there is because its easier to feed up there.
The sun coral WILL eventually die if you don't feed it.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
+1 on what Ming said - "sun coral," aka Tubastrea, is a non-photosynthetic coral and relies on being fed (or catching) meaty foods. I have had one for a few years that has lived in different locations depending on ease to reach it in order to feed it. I find that the easier it is to reach with the turkey baster, the greater the likelihood that I'll feed it every day. the only time it does not thrive is when I go on vacation!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: