leeit2me

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Well folks time to change direction from the water fall to the up flow scrubbers. I have converted my water fall scubber into the UAS. I have incorporated to be hung on the side of the sump.. Also added the LED and heat sink on both side. I was originally wanted to just use one side lighting. But, change my mind when I figure I can mounted on the side instead. Luckly, I had enough space in my sump are and my cabinet door was able to clost shut. Everything is already done, last thing I need to do is plumb the UAS and start testing.

Once everything has been completed, I will spray paint it black but not the heat sink area.

without further ado here are some pictures..

here is testing and leveling out the sump.
WP_000087.jpg

Another shot.
WP_000088.jpg

more pic
WP_000089.jpg

WP_000090.jpg

WP_000093.jpg

here is the heat sink. it's a 4x9 plate.
WP_000094.jpg

here the almost completed UAS
WP_000096.jpg

More to come later.

leeit2me

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Time to update my progress on this project. I have finish the UAS and it's currently running. Playing with the light schedule now. But everthing else is fully operational. Best part of this? There wasn't any leaks!! LOL

Lay out the LED. 6 LED on each side.
temporary-2.jpg

Tested fit and power on.
temporary-1.jpg

a-la Floyd method making the screen.
temporary-3.jpg

painted.... rush job.... you will know why..
temporary-4.jpg

inside shot of the LED panel
temporary-5.jpg

This is what I meant rush job on painting.....
temporary-6.jpg

power on interior.
temporary.jpg

fully operational.
temporary-7.jpg

Quick video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M8-7YNplWI

leeit2me

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
it's been a week and few days. I did a first cleaning in the screen. Not much growth on the screen yet. Since this is a virgin screen it takes time to seed the algae. Since I am just feeding the fish 1 cube a day. I don't think I will have a problem with GHA. But I do have patches here and there, hopefully I will rid of GHA completely from the display tank and let it grow in the scrubber.

As for what size tank I am using it in? I have a 60 cube with a 20 gal sump.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Awesome DIY I'm always impressed by DIY as I've tried 1 or 2 but usually find I don't have the right tools or I mess up something !!

R u gonna continue running ur skimmer?? Please keep us posted great thread!!!

Andyv2004

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
awesome diy

Awesome diy algae scrubber. Does it hang from the DT or the sump. Do you run a refugium and if you do will you eliminate any macro algae growing in there. I have one more question, I noticed you painted the walls of the scrubber is that for asthitics or is there a reason for it. I think it would be easier to see the algae growing with clear walls. Thank you for posting this awesome DIY project. You have inspired me to try and build one. Thanks, Andy Villalba:shocked1:

leeit2me

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
"Awesome DIY I'm always impressed by DIY as I've tried 1 or 2 but usually find I don't have the right tools or I mess up something !!

R u gonna continue running ur skimmer?? Please keep us posted great thread!!!"

I am still keeping my skimmer running. I don't think I can ever get rid of my skimmer. :D

"hi very nice design, can you post some pics when you harvest next time just curious how much algae grows on the mesh "

I have already clean it up couple of times. but I haven't really archive the dark green algae yet. Just patches here and there. I am getting more of a slime then anything else. I think I need to put a light diffuse to spread the light as it's "burning" spots on the mesh. Or I have to keep playing with the lighting periods.

"Awesome diy algae scrubber. Does it hang from the DT or the sump. Do you run a refugium and if you do will you eliminate any macro algae growing in there. I have one more question, I noticed you painted the walls of the scrubber is that for asthitics or is there a reason for it. I think it would be easier to see the algae growing with clear walls. Thank you for posting this awesome DIY project. You have inspired me to try and build one. Thanks, Andy Villalba:shocked1:"

The way I design this UAS was so I can hang it on my sump. I guess you can hang it anywhere. As long you have the space for it. I have painted it black to keep the led light from spreading all over the place. The light it just focus in the box, since it's all black, minimum light escapes from the box. I would've use black acrylic from the get go, but I use what I have on hand. Didn't want to run out and buy more materials. No, I've only have a 20gal sump and my skimmer takes 3/4 of the space already, so no fuge for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: