AzeX

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've heard Home Depot acrylic are all extruded. I was at one and saw the acrylic at the home depot at the window section, "Acrylite" blah blah

Are all Acrylite Acrylic Cell Cast or Extruded?
How about the Acrylite acrylic at Usplastics.com?

o and a nother thing, do they sell Neoprene Rubber Sheets?

Last edited:

HobokenAddict

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you're going to make an acrylic show tank, then I would suggest the acrylite. BTW-the company that manufactures acrylite is in Jersey City, NJ. If it's for a sump, the extruded acrylic from HD worked great for me. Just remember, that you must put some sort of cross bracing in place if your acrylic isn't that thick.

AzeX

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
not at all for show tank or a sump. This is mainly for an overflow box and base and flanges for a skimmer. I kind of prefer Cell cast acrylic because extruded is a little annoying to deal with when cutting. Extruded tends to gum up while cutting and sometimes it gums up and seal the cut I just made so I have to cut it again lol.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
OK here's the scoop if you plan on building something to hold water wheter it's a sump or tank DO NOT use Extruded acrylic, it will absorb water and when it does it becomes very subceptable to cracking. joints are not as strong.
it's not worth it to save a few $$$.
I've learned from my mistakes.
PS the stuff in HD and Lowes is meant for glazing (windows)

AzeX

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey thanks for the advice I woulda not been very happy if a sump I made broke lol.

The acrylic I want to buy is for nothing big. Its for a small overflow box and pieces for my DIY skimmer. But reallyu thanks for the tip.

I just want acrylic thats cell cast because I heard they prefer to chip when cut as compared to extruded acrylic which gum up. Its quite annoying when it gums up and covers up my cut lol. I gotta recut and blah. I think I'll just grab some acrylic from home depot since its not sump or tank really.

How about the acrylic sold at Usplastic.com? They sell acrylite acrylic but doesn't mention whether or not they are cell cast. If I ever do build a sump(and I will someday) then I'll definitely be using acrylite cell cast.

How about the acrylic store on Canal Street? I plan to drop by there soon so I can buy some acrylic glue, using PVC Cement to glue acrylic is no fun lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: