CadetMKultra

Active Reefer
I've just found out that florida-aqua-farms is going to send me an order that I didn't think they could fill. I should be receiving it in a couple of days. It's got Gracillaria and some other macros. I also ordered a whole bunch of macros from reef-cleeners, which should come on Saturday. So, by the end of the week I expect to have an over abundance of macros. Will keep you fine folks posted. If anybody wants some of the stuff that's left after I aquascape, lets make it into a dbtc.

CadetMKultra

Active Reefer
OK, I may have misunderstood, but I still want to do this. I've got some flame algae I can give away for sure. It's not a lot, but I think it's plenty enough to start growing some. I can give a bit of either of what I think are two kinds of gracillaria. I've got a bit of halimeda and some really cool dead man's fingers. I don't know if the dead man's fingers should be cut. I could also give one or two tiny pieces of oar grass, which I just got. Here's what I propose. I'll give the first person, probably bob, some of the flame algae and some of one of the others. Then we do it like a normal dbtc ring. Here are my rules.

No common types of caulerpa and no chaetomorpha. My tank has grape caulerpa and used to have feather caulerpa. I like the stuff, but it's just too easy to get.

One day, maybe I'll end the ring and take some algae that's up for grabs, or maybe I'll just put some more out there and keep it going. No big woop.

CadetMKultra

Active Reefer
Bob says he's coming over to get some of this stuff, so depending on how much he takes, you may have to be the next in the ring. Great news. The second box arrived. I've got quite a variety now.

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
you can cut the codium to make a new piece, when doing so try to get near where the plant branches. The new pieces should be tied down closely to some shell or rock. Then in alike 2 weeks it should attach, from there you are good to take off the string and watch it grow. Every branching macro is like that. For sea grass make a cutting like with caulerpa - somewhere between the blades on the roots instead of runners. Caps, brushes and the like should be allowed to duplicate than take, cuttings don't work well with these. Ditto for Neomeris and wineglass, etc... Mangroves can be done, but the cutting must be treated like a tree, (root hormone, etc...). With plants like flame algae, you usually have to trim it to shape, the trimmings make viable frags too.

CadetMKultra

Active Reefer
Good advice John Maloney. Today, I gave a selection of small pieces of several macros to Bob 1000. Bob is a really cool guy, who brought over some goodies like some nice looking caulerpa and some pods and even a little piece of coral for free (which unfortunately seems to have gotten lost in my tank. don't ask). Anyway, he gives me the impression that he's the kind of guy who can grow things out pretty well in his tank, so make sure to keep an eye on this thread for more macros.

Last edited:

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
DBTC: Macro Algae Chaeto (Chaetomorpha)

Since this macro-algae DBTC thread ran dry...
I offer a small sandwich bag (up to 3 actually) of Chaeto Macro Algae.
Requirements:
1. You pick it up from me either in New Rochelle or around Grand Central on Manhattan.
2. You will offer some macro algae (even mine if it grows enough) in this thread for others to take.
Let's keep it rolling!
Please PM me if interested!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: