Domboski

No Coral Here
This might be the first fish offered into the MRDBTC :) Many people have complained about aptasia so I decided to add one of my Bristletail Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) to the ring.

Here are the rules:

• The fish is to be returned to me if there are no takers
  • If the fish dies the person caring for the fish must pay me $25 for a replacement
  • I'm not responsible for any reef related issues due to the fish (eating shrimp, feather dusters and other inverts)
  • I ask that you are careful about who you forward the fish to. If you are uncomfortable forwarding the fish on give him back to me and I'll restart the chain.
  • You must track and log the behavior of the fish in this thread so we can learn how best to care for it and how to use them efficiently to deal with aptasia.
Miscellaneous Information:

This fish has proven to be reef safe with the exception of eating ornamental shrimp and feather dusters. However, please be cautious. These fish tend to be shy and it may take a week or two before they start eating the aptasia. Once they do, your problem will quickly be eradicated. Also keep in mind the fish can only eat the aptasia it can reach :duh:

This fish is a carnivore and eats frozen mysis. It will also pick on worms, shrimp and of course pest anemones, especially aptasia.

If you have any other questions post away and I'll try getting back to you quickly.

Thanks for the idea JHOV2324 :biglaugh:

Behavior updates:

1. Prone to getting sucked into strong powerheads
  2. Picks on Duncans, Dendros and Plate corals

Last edited:

cb747

How many is too many?
As much as i hate to post this final update i have to. I looked in the tank the other day and it was pinned againt one of my Tunze Streams. I freed it and it died a short time later. Thats 2 fish ive lost to the streams. The file fish and a ribbon eel i had for well over a year :( Im not happy and sorry Dom ill settle up with you next time i see you. Sorry everyone else for not being able to pass this fish on. :(

Alfredo De La Fe

It must be interesting catching one of these guys in an established system. I definitely want one, do you have any in inventory right now?

But I love cleaner shrimp and would eventually want to add a pair of cleaners. Would it eat large cleaners? How big are these guys?

Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: