tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
So, its time to upgrade my skimmer. Currently running a BK mini 250 from when they first came out on my 220. Anyways, the unit requires alot of maintenance now and its not skimming that great anymore aside from the other little inconveniences of the units. I have to break apart the skimmer and give it a vinegar bath once a month and the skim after 2 weeks is noticeably lower.

Started looking into the Cone skimmers that started coming out. Still doing research but asking for a little input from you guys. Skimz has the inverted cone that just came out. Vertex has their cone line. There's alot out there. Maybe I shouldn't get a cone? I dunno.

Anyways, any feedback is appreciated.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Tagging along.

I am thinking of getting a SWC cone but the Canadian website did not specify the units in their rating. They say the model 160 is good for "100", so I have to assume they mean 100G even though I think their standard is in liter.

1+ i have that skimmer and for right now its good. If you plan to get it give it a week to break in and leave it on too dont turn it off cause then it wont break in.

Additected To MR =D Lol

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Been a little MIA and my current impeller on the pump of my BK 250 crapped out on me. So I've been doing some research and wanted to throw stuff at you guys as im going through the process.

Everyone's been recommending reef octopus or SWC skimmers as far as cones go. They are around 350-600$ for anything able to skim 200-250g. Skimz just recently came out with their cone as well for around 450-550$ for the 201 and 202. All three companies use seamed, not molded, bodies for their skimmer which is why the price is that low. Apparently they all skim comparatively. Use reliable pumps like askoll or sicce, I don't know what the skimz uses. The skims return is in the base which apparently balances out pressure in the skimmer. I don't know to what effect it has on their skim but its supposedly an efficiency thing in skimmer design.

Anyways, those are your options for low price cones in the 200g range.

The next step up is the Bubble King and ATB cone that have molded bodies, better build and material, and good pumps with all the bells and whistles for about 300-500$ more. Im pretty sure they skim good as the 500$ skimmer but your paying more for PVP and molded parts that would last alot longer than a thin PVC body.

Im still deciding whether to spend the $$ on the Bubble King as mine is amazing as far as build quality. I could get great skim for 550$ though. On the other hand that extra 500$ gives me a lime-proof red dragon pump thats a little overpriced and a skimmer I won't have to worry about cracking when I take it out to clean. Ferrari or honda......ferrarrri?.... or honda.....

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The next step up is the Bubble King and ATB cone that have molded bodies, better build and material, and good pumps with all the bells and whistles for about 300-500$ more. Im pretty sure they skim good as the 500$ skimmer but your paying more for PVP and molded parts that would last alot longer than a thin PVC body.
skimz are not cheaply built at all, not not thin material, being i was one of the first people to have the Skimz line and have a thread on here and on RC. owned bk also, truelly wasnt that impressed when cost factored in, the Skimz pump is a italian pump as well, havent owned a ATB but have messed with one and wouldnt say the BK or the ATB are built any better, i do have a WM k2 running on my tank now, as stated if ya would like to talk and give ya my opinion lmk ive owned a few skimmers and brands

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just picked up the eshopps cone 150. They use the sicce pumps now and theyre supposed to be far more reliable than the bubble blasters. Its literally been in three days but i can tell you its a fantastic skimmer. Easy to use as well as effective. Ill have more to say as i experience it but as far as price goes it retailed for around $375. So far i would indeed reccomend it, it hasnt fully broken in but its already skimming like a demon.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Post up rick. Everyone here could use your info if you have owned a few. I made the post for MR not just myself =0)

The only thing that made me think twice about the Skimz Kones is that people have been saying the pump on the larger cone was a little on the noisy side along with the seamed body being a worry. Otherwise everyone said its a great quality skimmer and its probably the one i'll be getting.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i had the sm 202 recirc that i was a beta tester for, was 2 models avail for me to test and went with the bigger which ended up being to much skimmer for my system, the other i felt would have been to small
for your tank these would be the two id look at, if you decide to go this route lmk Michael from Aqua Digital Inc, was very helpful and knowledgable on these and had went over a few things with him and customer service is top notch

http://www.aquacave.com/skimz-sm-201-monzterbr-e-series-in-sumpbr-protein-skimmer-3323.html

http://www.aquacave.com/skimz-sk-201-kone-bre-series-in-sump-brprotein-skimmer-3331.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: