capo larzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Today i purchased an additional powerhead to increase flow and a new 150 watt heater because my marineland fritzed out last week. so i come home, give everything a thorough rinse, and place in the tank and plug it in. The first thing to die was a small flashlight fish that i happened to be very proud of growing out. Then three other fish head for the surface and start gasping for air. the heater was set at 68 so the water hadnt warmed up and i tried to see if there was electric stray in the tank by grounding myself and i dont believe there was.
Anybody ever have this happen or know what it could have been?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
was set at 68 so the water hadnt warmed up

so the tank was below 68?

Then three other fish head for the surface and start gasping for air./QUOTE]

Fish usually gasp for air when there is no oxygen in the water

a few questions

How much surface agitation do you have
Is the tank covered with a glass lid
Do you have a sump
Do you have a skimmer
How long has the tank been setup
How long have you been in the hobby
A pic of your entire setup would be great
How often do you do water changes
How big is your tank
what is your husbandry

Last edited:

capo larzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
No the temp in my tank is not at 68 its @ 74-75. What i meant by my statement was there had been no drastic change in water temp because of the new heater. It wasnt turned on.
Id appreciate if you didnt ask me juvenile questions and dont ask me what my husbandry is.
Ive successfully maintained a 12' x 12' shark lagoon with a lemon shark and smoothhounds of atlantic and pacific regions as well as 120 gallon reef with sps and soft corals. Ive also worked in the aquarium industry.

I have a sump. Its a custom tank with just under 35 gallons. Its a growout for my bigger tank as well as having its own long term inhabitants.

K.i.s.s. - has anyone had problems with the above equipment and the health of their fish

blueink

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I AM A MIND READER! and i know what happen. the cheap rio piece of crap leak out current n fried the fishes. it may not happen again. however be careful on tuesdays when there's a full moon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: