reefer-nyc

One Evil Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
A quick review of the Tunze NS 6025.

I just received mine last night via Anthony at Reef Exotics in Long Island. Essentially 60 bucks. I am highly impressed as usual with Tunze. It comes with the magnet mount and moves 660 gph. Insane for SPS in my 55 reef. It also blows off the surface scum in the process. It is pretty quiet but be warned, these magnets are so strong that if you don't use the tabs and slowly attach to the glass you will crack your tank. The coolest thing about the NS is that you can rotate it 360 and put it in the back corner of your reef blowing at an angle. The sps love it already. I highly reccommend you get one or two- better than most of the modded stuff I have seen so far. Anthony has a 450 gallon sps tank that he was also kind enough to show me with 1600 watts of halides! Check out his site at reefexotics.com. Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the review. I can't wait to get my hands on the controllable one. Tunze rocks!

Can you post a picture of it in your tank for size reference. They are said to be very small in footprint. The 360 degree movement just about seals the deal for me.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Just got my 6045 to replace my over-sized 6100 from Scott at Aquarium Specialty, so far I like this thing and Scott's service was great.

The 360 deg mount is ingenious..

Attachments

• DSCN2116.JPG
    DSCN2116.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,699
Last edited:
P

Pedro

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Cali, that's the controllable one? How's the flow? Can you take a full tank shot to see the size? Thanks.

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I got a pair of 6045 from Tony @ Reef Exotics to replace my 2 modded maxi 1200s in my 55gal 48x13x20, mostly SPS and Zoos.

As far as cost goes, if you factor in the cost of 2 additional magnets or special mounts for the maxi, that would cost you around $20-50. And the maxi mod kit cost almost $50/2. The Nano's construction isn't bad; I didn't have any problem with mine. People have been complaining about broken clips over @ RC. I mean there is only so much force those little flexible clips can withstand before breaking... Just take it easy when you putting the parts together I guess.

As far as flow goes, I couldn't be happier with the end results. The flow is gentle and wide. Before, if I point the modded 1200 directly to the SPS, it would upset the Acros. But with the 6045 @ the same location and distance, the Acro is fine. And with the wider flow, my anthelia near the middle bottom of the tank move much gentler. The water movement inside the tank is much better then the modded maxi, not as forceful as the modded 1200s.

I am going to replace one 6045 when the 6055 comes out. And that should give me even better controlled flow. But that?s almost 2 months from now...

I think if you see them running in person, you would agree these Nanos are great products.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Update on my 6045!!

I have had the 6045 in my tank for six months now, I only cleaned it twice during the six month.

It stopped working about three weeks ago, I took it out, gave it a vinerger bath and it started to work again. a week later, it stopped again, same routine, it started working again. And last weekend, it was dead again. I PM Roger(Owner of Tunze USA) on RC last Sunday, he got back to me on Monday and sent out a replacement prop and new thrust washers, received them on Saturday via USPS, NO CHARGE what so ever. How is that for product support??

Roger thinks either sand (or grit) got in there and worn out the nylon washer, the new replacement actually comes in two pieces, one nylon and one stainless steel.

Great product and even better product support when you need it!

strendo

Rating - 95.2%
40   2   0
I've got one, its a real piece of junk. Everytime it turns on it grinds really loudly for a couple seconds before it gets going. I finally had to leave it on continuesly. I sent it back to Tunze for repair, they sent it back to me 2 weeks later and it was still messed up.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i have a few nanos and the regular streams. i have never had any problems with any of them. if you are turning the nano on and off with a timer, or a wave device you will ruin it anyhow, it isnt made for that type operation. it must be ran on at all times.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have 2 of the 6025. One is great, one is broken - including the clip. It was making grinding noises and running backward so I took it out and cleaned it. After doing this 2x, it just quit. I still haven't sent it back for a replacement. Need to get around to that.

tonyyammine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
i have 2 6025.. in no way is this junk. there are 2 types i happened to have both. one has a regular metal stem and the better one has a titanium stem connecting the propeller.. the metal stem broke off and i was hearing grinding noise from it. i sent the broken 6025 to tunze and they fixed it for me by putting on the titan stem it works great and i am glad i bought it.if anyone thinks theirs is junk ill be glad to take it from them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: