Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just purchased an AquaFx Barracuda. Works really good.
I understand that when the tds start going up it means
It?s time to change filters. However, should I change all 3 filters
(except the membrane) At once. And should I just change the membrane
Every year or 2 no matter what.
Thanks.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Rule of thumb is that you change the DI resin as needed based on the TDS output reading, usually if it's not producing zero and starts creeping up then it's time to change out just the DI resin.
For the sediment and carbon, unless you can estimate gph through the cartridges, the rule of thumb is change them out every 6~7 months.
For the membrane, it all depends. I have used membranes for 5+ years and then some have gone bad in 18 months. The best way is to know your incoming source TDS and measure one of the dual TDS meters on the membrane output so that you can gauge whether the membrane is performing to specs. So if your source water has a TDS of 100 and your Dow membrane has a rejection rate of 98% then if your TDS monitor off the membrane reads 1~3 TDS then your membrane is performing to specs. Usually when the membrane goes bad, you see this number start going into the teens and and twenties.
Hope this helps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a handheld tds meter (ez by HM).
I test the water out of the tap each time I start. It usually ranges from 31-41.
I live in bklyn. I then test the rodi water, it?s always 0.
So if TDS of rodi water starts going up, change DI resin, if back to 0 I?m fine.
If still up change the other 2.
Thx for all your help.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Think about getting one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EHAZGW/?tag=reefs04-20

You can place the "In" probe after the membrane so that you can easily tell what the membrane is producing and place the "Out" after the DI Resin so that you will know when the DI is exhausted.
The handheld can continue to give you a reading of the tap water so that you can calculate the "In" probe to see if the membrane is in working order.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: