Jonathan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about the all the problems with the DAS. I am still pleased with my transaction, but warry about ordering another skimmer from them in the future after reading all this. I'll have to think long and hard about it, but luckily that won't be for a long time.

lazyreefer

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
isn't there a place in NJ that sells DAS skimmers - Tropaquarium I believe? would we avoid all these handling problems if we pick up the skimmer in person from this place in NJ? is it more expensive there?

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
lazyreefer said:
isn't there a place in NJ that sells DAS skimmers - Tropaquarium I believe? would we avoid all these handling problems if we pick up the skimmer in person from this place in NJ? is it more expensive there?

Tropaquariums prices are actually cheaper. Rich and I tried to order from the several times, but the were not able to fill our orders. The only DAS skimmer they have in stock is the BX1.

Jonathan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i called tropiquarium about once a week for five weeks about DAS skimmers and each time they said they'd be in next week and they couldnt tell me which models they would be getting or how much they would cost. So I just went ahead and ordered one from petorama. Then I get a voicemail about a week later saying they were in stock, but i dont know which ones they had in stock.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
wow, I feel lucky I got my ex-2 when I did. it must have been one of the last old style good ones they had left. what the heck are they doing? going through the reject pile to fill their orders?
I'm totally happy with my DAS, it works great and it easy to use. I guess it's a crap shoot now whether you get a good copy. For those that order I would suggest specifying you want a non-tilted cup version! Refer them to this thread if they try to ask you what you mean ;)

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Also try to order one from tuesday to thursday. On friday they might just want to go home and piece it together, and on monday they might be all tired. They sure have some quality control issues. Based on what i see, they are great performers. Such a shame.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
haha, just let them, the third time is the charm, right? :P

or if it's three strikes and your out, that would be truly pathetic.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
guess i will add to this thread. my other two skimmers are remoras. here is my first euroreef ES5-2. i like it so far.

it has a sedra rated for 350gph. i want something stronger, what do you guys suggest?
DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1340.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
Are they sending you a third because they don't want to refund your money? If that's the case I would ask for the money back and accept the third skimmer.

I think he wants to prof they do make a good skimmer. I gave him until Friday to get one to my door or I will call AMEX on Tuesday to dispute the charge.

P

Pedro

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Yeah, get tough with them. Enough is enough of this non-sense. They should technically discount this one for all your troubles. Hope this one gets inspected at least! Keep us posted.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
jhale said:
hey Nate,

how long has the skimmer been running, there is a bit of a break in period.
1. the bubbles should stay pretty much at the same level and push the nasty foam up.

2. the valves should open around 11 o'clock

3. i have about 150 gph going through mine, people tell me that's too little, I'll change it some day.

- jonathan

Thanks for the info Jonathan. I had a rookie mistake of putting the outflow pipe down into the water. This was causing some pressure problems. After I sorted out that issue, the skimmer has been running great. Luckily i received one that was at least decent (only a slighted tilted cup).

After reading all of this and after my current purchase, there's no way I would have bought this skimmer. Yeah, it works well, but it's a total crap shoot. And who knows 6 months down the road if this thing will fall apart. Obviously they aren't made well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: