Skimmer Thread

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
428   2   0
Hey guys the asm g2 is getting its bath right now with 2 bottles of vineger about 64oz and will be in there for 24hrs lol then 5 to rinse and its foaming so much. I took pics and will post them up tomorrow:)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The 'chick' with the Big Becketts

After reading through this entire thread and learning that the skimmer is the most important piece of equipment on a reef tank, I jumped on the chance to get an MRC2 dual beckett skimmer with a Gen X 55 pump when I was this one posted for sale.
After much resealing of minor leaks and redoing my plumbing to fit this skimmer, I finally have it up and running.
My skimmer is in the room next to my tank which makes cleaning it much easier, plus it wouldn't fit under my stand & in my sump anyway...and I don't have to listen to that oh not so quiet pump with it being there.

Would like to thank JH for answering questions in the middle of the night when I couldn't get this hooked up, and Rich Jackson for the helpful info on the becketts (yes, they both are working now :)) and Slama for the bazillion answers and holding my hand through it all.

Now I need to know - does it look like it's running right?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Forgot to ask this ...I'm curious to know if it makes any difference or affects the way the skimmer operates the way I have the piping plumbed above the injectors?

I tried to research this & looked at the way other folks have them hooked up, but I'm not clear on this point. Anyone know?

SlamaJama

Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
Forgot to ask this ...I'm curious to know if it makes any difference or affects the way the skimmer operates the way I have the piping plumbed above the injectors?

I tried to research this & looked at the way other folks have them hooked up, but I'm not clear on this point. Anyone know?
id like an answer to this question as well...
K, u did an awesome job...skimmer looks great!

and WOW, those R big becketts!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
J, the skimmate gets drained from the cup. It never has more than that in the cup itself. In the pic you can see the drainhose

Kathy, take a pic of the waste container and show them what alot of skimate really means!!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

Still looking for an answer to the question above :)

JH - It's been running since the middle of last week, but as Herman said (thanks Herman ;))what you see in the cup is not all that's been collected since the cup drains into a jug next to the skimmer.
I had it turned down to barely skimming while I was away for the weekend (afraid it might overflow the jug..need to pick up a waste collector for it..) and when I came home it seemed to be skimming at a decent rate so I've left it alone.
I'm collecting about 3/4 of an inch per day of skimmate in an Arizona gallon sized bottle..if that's any help...lol. It's the color of dark tea.

So far so good!!

Featured Sponsors