D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Which ATI do you have? Why are you struggling to produce skimmate in your mature 90 LPS/softie dominated tank with several fish whereas Fritz is pulling 1/3 the skimmer cup in 2 days with a relatively new understocked tank? Can anyone shed some light? :confused:

I cant say why :( same thing with the das i had on my main ,Its now on my selling tank ,producing 10x the amount that it was on my main tank
go figure

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
It's sitting in 8 inches of water with an Auto Top Off so that depth never changes. I keep the gatevalve all the way open, and there's only one pump! (It's a BM200)
I haven't hooked my air meter up to it yet as I honestly haven't cared what the specs are. With skimmate production like that, what does it matter? :)

I'm very happy with this skimmer.

I too wonder why Ronen's skimmer(s) don't pull like mine do. All I can figure is that I use less rock and more flow. I also don't keep a DSB. In Ronen's tank I imagine more waste is trapped in his rockwork where it is broken down, whereas in my tank it's skimmed out before it can break down. Deep's DSB counteracts any "nitrate factory" that his rockwork causes ?

Maybe.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
here are a couple of pics of the bm 250 3 days worth of skimmate and only running for 1 week.... :biggrinpa:yeah: its getting there... herm ur nog will be ready soon... :biggrin:

Attachments

• skimmer1.jpg
    skimmer1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 583
  • skimmer2.jpg
    skimmer2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 586
  • skimmer3.jpg
    skimmer3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 585
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
question

guys with the ati's that have the gate valve mod, how open do you have it set?

My skimmer in in 7 to 8 " of water ,gate valve is closed 2 full turns

It's sitting in 8 inches of water with an Auto Top Off so that depth never changes. I keep the gatevalve all the way open, and there's only one pump! (It's a BM200)
I haven't hooked my air meter up to it yet as I honestly haven't cared what the specs are. With skimmate production like that, what does it matter? :)

I'm very happy with this skimmer.

I too wonder why Ronen's skimmer(s) don't pull like mine do. All I can figure is that I use less rock and more flow. I also don't keep a DSB. In Ronen's tank I imagine more waste is trapped in his rockwork where it is broken down, whereas in my tank it's skimmed out before it can break down. Deep's DSB counteracts any "nitrate factory" that his rockwork causes ?

Maybe.

My tank is too clean for a skimmer :lol2: jking

Im hoping rich will get to the bottom of this .

Funny thing ,I cleaned out my Das last nite ,and i have more skimmate in there from my selling tanks then the ATI ,this is the same thing that happen with the DAS when it was on the DT =,didntproduce half the skimmate that its producing now thts on the selling tank,

I still can not figure out why .I have 13 fish in my DT ,feed once a day ,i do have 100micron filter bag on the drain at all times

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think I have to raise the water level around the skimmer. I built an eggcrate box for it to sit on top of in the sump. it was too tall so I raised the sump water level. it's now in about 5" of water, and the gate valve is almost shut.

this is what it's done after the first day. sorry for the phone pic, I'm not home and this is taken by the gf.

remember I had it running in a bucket of SW for almost 2 weeks.

chris they are not beckets, but they are looking pretty good :)

Photo_05.jpg

Last edited:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I was just thinking "I hope that's 6 hours worth" otherwise at $300 not counting the pump that goes in the total POS pile. Do these have a waste collector? If so do you have a shot of that. Depending on that and tank size/ stocking that might not be bad at all.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
BM250 the good and the bad

so here's 2 days of dry skimming with the 250
looks good right, yummy skimmate, all's good in the poop removing department. now for the bad, I fed some frozen food and a few minutes later I hear a strange noise coming from the sump. I open the doors and find the collection cup about to blow it's top. now someone please tell me these are not that sensitive. if the 250 freaks out every time I feed the tank with frozen food that will be a major problem. I have since opened the gate valve, the skimmer is producing less waste, but I feel safer with the water level lower. If I'm gone and frozen food is fed I do not have to worry about the skimmer turning into Mt. Vesuvius.

for those that notice the dish in the front is to divert the output of the skimmer, it was messing with the ATO float switch

_JHL0042.JPG

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
BM250 Detail shots

close up of the goodness :eat:

waste.jpg

what makes the skimmer skim, bubbles!! :tub:

overall bubble shot
bubbles1.jpg

close up of the diffuser plate doing it's thing
bubbles2.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey Dave, just for the record this is food I make myself, I rinse it really well before I freeze it. I'm not sure rinsing it again would do anything further.
the DAS never did this, I fed the frozen twice a day. do you think the skimmer needs to break in more or is this something you have to live with, with this skimmer?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: