jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the skimmer thread is not getting much love these days.
Does everyone love their skimmer? what's up?

Phil post an update of the 160 it should be broken in by now.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok so I put a deposit on a tank/stand/canopy to be picked up in a week but am completely clueless as to skimmers. I've followed this and other threads off and on but they all seem to presuppose you know something about skimmers. Where can I get a primer on choosing a skimmer ( i.e. the difference between recircs, gravity fed, needle wheels, etc. and things to look for in a skimmer for various purposes ) ?

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Phil post an update of the 160 it should be broken in by now.

I wasn't too happy with it the 1st week, but yep.....it's broken in now.
It's much better & will produce a very "frothy" foam, but I can't seem to get dry skimate (although I did free up alot of bio-load as I got rid of my big "poop machine" fish).
The skimate smell is worse than my other skimmers so I guess it's pulling some gunk.
When feeding mysis, it takes longer to return to "normal operation" than other skimmers I've used.
Over-all it seem good, but I want to see how it runs a few more weeks.

I will post pics of it in action.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Filled 1 cup in a week.
This is about 2 hours after cleaning:

atiskims_383361.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Rich how do you think that would compare to a BK250, for a little bit more, you get a skimmer that's only 45 watts and rated for the same size tank. that's a third of the watts of the reeflo :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Isn't the BK250 double the price? I'm not really sure how the two would compare, but I was never really super impressed with the bk250. It's a good skimmer no doubt, but that price tag always had me searching for something else.

ereefic

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw the UPS man bringing it out of his truck, I was like that's a big box. Once I opened it up and saw the skimmer body, it was bigger than I expected. Even knowing the dimensions, you don't realize it till you see it. I'll keep you's updated. That is the 250 btw.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Nick, I was checking out that KZ skimmer at Mshur's last night. It looked pretty good for a small sized skimmer. For the size tank I am planning (about 100gals) that might be perfect. I know 2 guys that say this little skimmer is much better than the BK 250.

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
MSX 160 Skimmer

Just thought to share some pics of my MSX 160 Skimmer.

It's price tag is manageable at $300, but it requires some patience and tweaking to get it up and running.

The pics are after the 2+ week breaking in period.

The skimmer is currently supporting a 50Gal Breeder with a 20G sump/fuge.
3 - chromis
1 - Lyretail Anthia
2 - False Oscellaris Clowns
5 - snails
10 - hermit crabs
80 lbs of Live Rock and 70lbs of Live sand.

Pics consist of the skimmer with about 2+ days of skimmate. The collect cups holds about 8 cups of crapp.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 771

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: