kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've been bamboozled :).

You guys heard about the new tunze electric pumps that are supposed to be quiet. The smallest one does around 1400-1450gph @ 12ft with 120W.

With that in mind, are the recirculating skimmer really a better option than the becketts? After seeing Cali's beckett beating up on a BK300 ext and with the new epumps, I can't see spending that much money on a BK or deltec.

Weren't the biggest issues with the becketts electricity and noise?

I've heard people say that recirculating skimming is the best way to skim, anyone know why?

Can you say SK5220 on a 120.

Last edited:

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Andre thats insane :) That has to be the most overskimmed tank that I know of :)

overskimmed? coming from you..I can't believe, hahaha.. I thought you don't know what is overskimming..hehehe...

I guess it always help him in water change, just drain the skimmer :D:scratchch

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
kimoyo said:
You guys heard about the new tunze electric pumps that are supposed to be quiet. The smallest one does around 1400-1450gph @ 12ft with 120W.

With that in mind, are the recirculating skimmer really a better option than the becketts? After seeing Cali's beckett beating up on a BK300 ext and with the new epumps, I can't see spending that much money on a BK or deltec.

Weren't the biggest issues with the becketts electricity and noise?

I've heard people say that recirculating skimming is the best way to skim, anyone know why?

Can you say SK5220 on a 120.

NO way Paul!!!! Are you considering a beckett? :D
I think most think recirculating is the best type of skim because it doesn't cost almost $50 per month in electrical costs to run it ;) A properly powered becket skimmer is hard to beat. Most performance issues with beckets that I have seen are because of underpowered pumps driving them.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You saw that cali's setup. How can a skimmer that cost 3 times as much be getting beat, I was like hell nah. At that point for me it doesn't matter how much adjusting you do, even if they performance improves to the same level, thats still unacceptable.

Then when you said your beckett could pull about 5G of wet skimmate in like 30 mins or something, I realized that my skimmer was limited.

And with the new tunze pumps! The BK300 is really running 80W and the tunze pumps can power a SK4220 or SK5200 on 120W and their supposed to be quiet. If they sound like an aquabee then I'm straight.

I think Cali's setup is perfect for testing stuff because he has so many fish.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hmm...I have to try a tunze pump on my skimmer....not the same head pressure though which might not power it the same???? I guess there's only one way to find out :)

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Paul, not to discourage you but the large Barr skimmer has a 2-4 months waiting time.

I know someone selling a Barr 1020(or 1220, I am not sure) locally if you are interested, I can ask him how much he is looking for tomorrow.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
kimoyo said:
With that in mind, are the recirculating skimmer really a better option than the becketts?

BK300 EXT is a recirculating needle wheel skimmer, the 300 INT is a none recirculating needle wheel skimmer.

You can now find beckett skimmer builder making a "recirculating" option for their skimmer. IMO it does not help the becket skimmer perform any better, but I can be wrong since I don't want to own a POS MRC product.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
cali_reef said:
Paul, not to discourage you but the large Barr skimmer has a 2-4 months waiting time.

I know someone selling a Barr 1020(or 1220, I am not sure) locally if you are interested, I can ask him how much he is looking for tomorrow.
Yeah I know, I actually contacted him before I got the ap600. Then I was looking online and everyone was like deltec was the shiznet, oh well. I'm going to email him this week though because he changed up his ordering process.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cali_reef said:

Just an FYI...

I contacted Barr regarding their lower model skimmer SK1020. As of now, he wont be making any orders until this summer some time (I spoke with him last week).

Rich

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
He only does limited runs of each of his products. Once they are gone, you need to wait until he ramps up for another run. I was really set on the SK1020 but, .....

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Hmm...I have to try a tunze pump on my skimmer....not the same head pressure though which might not power it the same???? I guess there's only one way to find out :)
Sorry, I know this is a little off topic. But check this thread out. Moonpod, said the one he got (the largest one) pushed harder than an RD12 or a dart, was about as loud a dart and ran at 203W (27W under their advertised specs) with a 28ft max head.

Pili

The Shrimp PIMP!!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
H and S A110-2000

The setup is a little unconventional but it works well and there are very little microbubbles in the main tank.

feed pump is in the main tank (mini-jet 606) and the return line goes into a AC70 shell (with some carbon/phosban) and then back into the main tank.

HandS-SU.jpg

HandS-SU2.jpg

HandS-SU3.jpg

HandS-SU4.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Phili what skimmer where you running before this one? Did you ever compare the H+S to a cheaper euroreef or ASM?

I like the H+S but for the money I feel they are overpriced for what they do. I would love to hear your comparasions for the H+S and your previous skimmers.

Pili

The Shrimp PIMP!!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was running an AquaC Remora before so to be honost, i cant really give you an accurate comparison.

From reading and comparing specs though, the h and s IMO is a pretty good deal. It is a recirculating model and external for one, which neither the ER (the RC model starts at a similar price) or the ASM is (cant be run external) which was a must because i dont have sump.

The second reason is that they use the Aquabee pumps which are pretty much the best needle wheels (besides the ones that Bubble Kings use) as far as efficiency and quality.

So far though, the remora is no competition for this, no question.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: