d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Does anyone have any opinions on over driving T5's?

I trying to give this tank the most appropriate lighting, LPS and softies only, never sps.

Who over drives them and what is your application and reason for doing so?

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Does anyone have any opinions on over driving T5's?

I trying to give this tank the most appropriate lighting, LPS and softies only, never sps.

Who over drives them and what is your application and reason for doing so?

Over driving them with like an icecap 660 destroys the bulbs. Par numbers dump off dramatically after 2 months.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Here's some basic numbers from my Tek elite 6x54. It's 12" over water due to bleaching my lps.

Don't mind the pic, its a old cell phone tank shot.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330373157407.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330373157407.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 583

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
hmmm, wonder why ppl over drive them to begin with, thats expensive, replacement every 2 months. Might as well put metal halides, complimented by VHO's, highlighted by T5's wrapped around in leds.

Based on how your tank looks with a cell picture I am going to guess that i am currently running 36" T5HO bulbs on a regular ballast. I upgraded my bulbs to super blue and purple plus on a very reasonably priced light fixture. I have been meaning to open it up to confirm my what I suspect...T5 ballast and I installed HO bulbs, not getting the most out of it.

Anyhow, this research is for the lighting that is going to go in the 120 gallon, its a 4ft tank. trying to decide if T5 fixture or VHO retrofit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: