nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
My AquaMaxx in-sump skimmer's recommended water level is between 8 & 9 inches. How will having it in higher water level affect the skimmer? Does having it in 11 inches cause it to overflow? I'm trying to understand the relationship of how the water level affects the skimmer, for example what would happen if I placed it in 5 inches?

Thanks

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Having it in too high a water level may cause it to overflow or skim Wet. Having it in too low a water level may cause the pump to suck in air from a vortex or cause the skimmer to skim too dry.

At least that's my understanding.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Thanks guys

I appreciate the responses, I will work on building a stand for it because it is overflowing. since the water level is too high in order to avoid having my return pump from sucking air.

Thanks

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Skimmer Stand -Update

Built it today out of egg rate. Got it at Lowes for $15 very easy project (4)sides and a top. I made it 9 squares high which is roughly 4.5" so I had to add more water to my sump and adjust my ATO to the new water level. Right away it started skimming thick foam a little on the wet side but no more overflowing. I'm gonna let it run like this all day until tomorrow then adjust the height on the stand if needed. It's strange that the manufacturer recommends it in 8" of water but at that level it overflows in a couple of seconds. Now while sitting on the stand it's in 1.5" of water and it's skimming w/o the overflowing.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Small adjustments

Indeed, I let the skimmer run for a couple of days and was getting good amount of skimate but a little bit on the wet side. Today I raised the collection cup which should produce a dryer skimate. If everything works out I'll make my marking on the side of the sump for water level, and on the skimmer cup to indicate the height. Hope this works out and I'll update. One thing I have noticed is the water in the sump seems peaceful, as in no slashing from the drain should I allow for splashing to break the water surface tension? I raised the sock holder to minimize slashing to quiet down the drain, and to avoid salt creep all over the stand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: