thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Trick???

How does any animal breed??? Lol

Need to have a pair of fish that meet and start dating both as males. Then one of them decides it wants to be a female and starts to beat the crap out of the other one until that fish gives in and screams "MERCY". The mercy fish stays male and the stronger one becomes female. Then they live together and maybe find a house like an anemonae or another coral and live together as long as they can. Then one day they decide to have kids and she lays her eggs and he fertilizes them. Then they live in happiness and take care of the eggs and then they hatch and ALL OF YOUR OTHER FISH EAT THE FRY.

Lol sorry had to do it. I have actually read up on it a bit. As far as I can tell there is no trick. It is nature. Some people have clowns that appear to mate up but never produce any fry. Other have a pair that won't stop laying clutches of eggs

******disclaimer to protect from flaming... I am not a pro breeder nor have raised any fry so take my words with a grain of salt and research. Check with Wesley as he has written some nice how-tos in the breeding section******

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Trick???

How does any animal breed??? Lol

Need to have a pair of fish that meet and start dating both as males. Then one of them decides it wants to be a female and starts to beat the crap out of the other one until that fish gives in and screams "MERCY". The mercy fish stays male and the stronger one becomes female. Then they live together and maybe find a house like an anemonae or another coral and live together as long as they can. Then one day they decide to have kids and she lays her eggs and he fertilizes them. Then they live in happiness and take care of the eggs and then they hatch and ALL OF YOUR OTHER FISH EAT THE FRY.

Lol sorry had to do it. I have actually read up on it a bit. As far as I can tell there is no trick. It is nature. Some people have clowns that appear to mate up but never produce any fry. Other have a pair that won't stop laying clutches of eggs

******disclaimer to protect from flaming... I am not a pro breeder nor have raised any fry so take my words with a grain of salt and research. Check with Wesley as he has written some nice how-tos in the breeding section******

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Almost sounded like my relationship lol, well with out the two male part.

But it is crazy how in freshwater every type of fish I had mated, but I can't get a saltwater fish to look in each other direction unless it's to kill each other 0_o

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
type clown fish breeding into youtube a woman speaker comes out on one of them with a blue screen in the back its like 14 minutes the first one its 3 clips she explains that dont try to harvest until about the 6th batch and to put 3 gallons in a 10 gallon tank and add phyto and roti do a water change twice a day of a third i think it was and to put bubble on and napkins ontop a few layers and each day take of one layer so the light is stronger its alot of steps but she has a very high success rate

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to get them to breed is a few simple steps to entice them. You can do alot for them to get to that point of breeding. It's like you getting your pair of friends ( male and female) to meet up. Take them to dinner, buy them a house and do everything butt do the act for them. Hehe

Here is my simple rules set for breeding.
Clown female will lay eggs from age 2.5 to 3 years at the earliest mostly. And she will be almost 3" or bigger. That is the rule of thumb for breeding females. Males can be ready in about about a year old. They would need to be mated for a long while so the dominance is decided and everyone is happy.
Best way to entice laying if your pair is of age is as follows.
Put them in a 10g tank with a clay pot or tiles. They will host in these. I use pots. And nothing else in the tank. They need to feel that they are safe in this tank.
Raise the temp of the water to 80 to 84f. Raise in temp will boost their metabolism and allow them to eat more. Also drop down the salinity a few points also. This will allow more O2 in the water. High temps adds less O2. So lowering the salinity will help.
I run my clown breedstock system at 84f and my salinity is 19ppm. I think that's maybe 1.015 ish?
I got a digital salinity checker and I use ppm cause it easier for me. I wouldn't suggest you do it as drastic as me, but 81 and a few drop levels in salinity will help.
Feed feed feed feed.
I feed mine 6 times a day or more with frozen foods and pellets and flake. The above step on raising the temp will allow them to eat and grow more faster. Good that they are in their own tank cause it will fowl the water quicker. Syphon out the unused food every week or few days.
Perfect time schedule.
They need to be programmed. So I have my lights on for 12 hours a day from 10 to 10. They need this.

Let the sides and bottom get dirty. In the wild they lay eggs when there is a ton of algae in the water. The algae support the organisms that the babies eat in the wild. In your tank if it's dirty tells the fish the area they are in is full of algae and will support the food for the babies.

I breed clowns as a hobby and I have 15 pairs that are laying or have laid before. Getting everything recently set up in the last few months have stopped many to lay. But they are slowly starting back up.
I am not an expert but I been doing this for a year with decent results and hope to continue to keep at and learn more as I go.
Sorry so long winded but it is simple to setup a clown pair for breeding. The hard part is having them actually lay for you. Hehe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: