Wrasses

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Are they all jumpers? Would love to buy one but have a rimless aquarium with no hood.
all wrasses are jumpers...you really should have a covered tank.

FWIW...I don't recommend a 6 line for ANY tank...they can become aggressive and are a PITA to remove

howze01

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So, I got my first Wrasse! He is one of the 2 fish I really wanted for my new tank. The other being Suzuki Anthias. So, here he is, a Naoko's Fairy Wrasse. I'm trying to get a better pic but he isn't being too cooperative.

d5332

Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Does anyone know why wrasses die so easily? At least for me?

Have only had 1 wrasse last a couple of months and disappeared.

Received LA order yesterday, wrasses I ordered arrived dead, shrimp, starfish, blue spot jawfish all alive, wrasses DEAD in the bags.

What is the secret with wrasses? I would like a few but its literally money down the drain.

prattreef

Administrator
Rating - 97.3%
73   2   0
Does anyone know why wrasses die so easily? At least for me?

Have only had 1 wrasse last a couple of months and disappeared.

Received LA order yesterday, wrasses I ordered arrived dead, shrimp, starfish, blue spot jawfish all alive, wrasses DEAD in the bags.

What is the secret with wrasses? I would like a few but its literally money down the drain.
It really depends on the species. Some are very hardy and some are super delicate with many falling somewhere in between. Which ones have you tried and have you researched their care/difficulty etc. beforehand?

d5332

Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
that I can remember:

Carpenters
yellow coris
various types of fairies
scotts
leopard
cleaner
flasher

All of the one's I have purchased supposedly are fairly easy to keep.

So far the cleaner wrasse has lasted the longest, A flasher the second longest.

Every other wrasse dies, either arrives dead or dies while in QT observation. I know many require sand by when I buy them they are in bare bottom tanks so QT time should not be an issue.

Delicate is an understatement I guess
It really depends on the species. Some are very hardy and some are super delicate with many falling somewhere in between. Which ones have you tried and have you researched their care/difficulty etc. beforehand?

smoq

Marcin
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
And all have names:)
- Thalassoma quinquevittatum is Helio, my favorite fish of all time
-Labroides dimidiatus is Stripey
-Halichoeres chrysus is Pipiopi
-Cirrhilabrus solorensis is Fairy Blue Tail or Fairik:)

If I had more space, I would definitely add:
-Hawaiian Flame Wrasse pair
-Radiant wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)

Last edited:

prattreef

Administrator
Rating - 97.3%
73   2   0
that I can remember:

Carpenters
yellow coris
various types of fairies
scotts
leopard
cleaner
flasher

All of the one's I have purchased supposedly are fairly easy to keep.

So far the cleaner wrasse has lasted the longest, A flasher the second longest.

Every other wrasse dies, either arrives dead or dies while in QT observation. I know many require sand by when I buy them they are in bare bottom tanks so QT time should not be an issue.

Delicate is an understatement I guess
Leopards are difficult - period
Cleaners are very mixed success
Flashers ( Carpenters are flashers) are not difficult, but not easy either and quite wimpy-- many don't make it.
Fairies are mixed bag but generally pretty hardy-- Scotts however often don't do well.

Yellow coris should be easy.

Of the fish you mention only Leopards and the coris need a sand bed.

Featured Sponsors