Wrasses

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Posted this pic before but since this is a wrasse thread here ya go :)

My Lineatus, same fish different pics. Top pic was when he was flashing and the bottom is when he is normal, looks almost the same in pictures but very different in person!

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
heuerfan, those are beautiful!
Here is a better pic of my xmas wrasse. I still can't get the 6-lines. Oh well, you guys know what they look like anyway. Nothing spectacular.

Attachments

prattreef

Administrator
Rating - 97.3%
73   2   0
Very nice fish Chris. Good luck with it. They seem to be a bit difficult to keep long-term. I've had a few over the years that seemed fine for months and then suddenly went south. Why? I dunno. Randy

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Thanks for the info Randy. I'm at 3 months right now with this fish and it seems okay so far, obviously far too early for me to make any long term assumptions. I've noticed that along with the mysis and cyclopeeze, it loves frozen formula 2, nori and flakes (formula 1, formula 2, prime reef, and spirulina flakes). As you guys know, I am unfortunately MR's unofficial fish over-feeder. I'm hoping that with several feedings per day of good variety, I can keep it long term.
As for your next post, I will post on that thread.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Soaking foods in Selcon and Vitachem also is key to maitaining health and color.
I've used selcon. Would like to try Vitachem. Thanks for the info.
I think frequent varied feedings is probably the key to long-term success.
Me too. Nutrition is key. I remember when Naso Tangs were considered a fish which does well at first and rapidly declined after a few months for "no good reason". Well, fortunately, guys with the proper resources were able to figure out that it was a lack of brown algae in their diets (as well as many who kept them in too small enclosures) that they were able to narrow down the cause of decline. Learning little things that you get out of a site like this hopefully will help more of us get long term results.

prattreef

Administrator
Rating - 97.3%
73   2   0
Gorgeous fish. I had a pair once---How come I know so much about these wrasses and I only have one ordinary C. lubbocki ? Answer- because every other one has jumped on me (please don't ask how many) and I refuse to buy another until I dedicate a tank to their needs i. e. with tight lids. ..... Steven, I know you know this already both about the needs and my personal experiences, but I just thought I'd dramatize for those considering the rather substantial financial committment to these spectacular fish.

ironsheikh

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 8 line fairy flasher, great finnage --yet I never hear anything about it. If I can find one for a good price I'll buy it and try to promote it more

Attachments

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 96.3%
79   3   0
chris288 said:
I've used selcon. Would like to try Vitachem. Thanks for the info.

Me too. Nutrition is key. I remember when Naso Tangs were considered a fish which does well at first and rapidly declined after a few months for "no good reason". Well, fortunately, guys with the proper resources were able to figure out that it was a lack of brown algae in their diets (as well as many who kept them in too small enclosures) that they were able to narrow down the cause of decline. Learning little things that you get out of a site like this hopefully will help more of us get long term results.
I never remember any time when a Naso tang were hard to keep, and I've been keeping fish for over 20 years. The only way a Naso tang, or any tang for that matter, would start to decline and waste away is if it's not being feed correctly, which is very common in reef tanks as most people don't feed enough and when they do it's usually not the correct diet.

Between the various foods that where out there and all the different greens you could have offer, the Naso was actually a very easy fish to keep. You'll actually find a lot of people who have had them for quite some thing and growth them to pretty good size, streamers and all.

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
The only way a Naso tang, or any tang for that matter, would start to decline and waste away is if it's not being feed correctly, which is very common in reef tanks as most people don't feed enough and when they do it's usually not the correct diet.
I thought that was almost exactly what I said in my previous post. I guess not. Sorry I wasn't clear.
MIKE (slamajama), I posted this thread because of you and all of your wrasses. Where are your pics?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Yeah, I guess she saw yours while she and Fran went to the beach. I'd like one, but they seem a little small and docile. I would have to be careful since I've got 2 six-lines.

Featured Sponsors