Manhattan Reefs

Manhattan Reefs (https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/)
-   Fish (https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/fish/)
-   -   Wrasses (https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/fish/14901-wrasses.html)

loismustdie 07-31-2006 10:16 AM

Wrasses

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another type of fish which seems to be gaining in popularity. I've got a special interest in this since if I do decide to get anymore fish, I would like wrasses. Let's see what you got and your experience with their compatibility. BTW, I've also got a pair of sixline wrasses (can't get a pic... too fast) who don't seem to pay attention to anything in the tank except eachother and food.
This is my christmas wrasse
Quote:

Other Common Names: Christmas Wrasse.
Hawaiian Names: O-hu-a, La-'o, and Pa-'a-we'la.
Scientific Name: Halichoeres ornatissimus (Garrett, 1863).
Distribution: Includes the Hawaiian area, Johnston Island, and central Polynesia.
Average Size: To about 7 inches.
Minimum Tank Size Suggested: 55 gallons.
Habitat: Bottom-dweller; mainly found around sandy areas with coral rubble and stones present.
Identification: The head is red marked with horizontal green lines; the throat and belly are blue; each scale is marked by a vertical, cresent-shaped stripe followed by blue. The dorsal fin is dark red with a row of dark green oblong shaped spots on the lower part of the fin; the outer part is marked with a green band; the far outside edge of the fin is trimmed with a very thin blue line; two black spots are present on the dorsal fin, and a small, vertical, black mark is just behind the eye, which is a significant marking when identifying this species. When this fish is under tank lights, the green bands have an almost pearlescent appearance. Because of its red and green colors, this fish is often referred to as a Christmas Wrasse. However, the Thalassoma trilobatum species is the "true" Christmas Wrasse, with the male species of Thalassoma purpureum (Surge or Purple Wrasse) being nearly identical.
Characteristics & Compatibility: As with most Wrasses, the Ornate Wrasse buries itself in the sand when frightened or while sleeping at night for protection. Because this Wrasse does not grow very big, it is a nice species to have in an aquarium. It will not make a mess out of your decorations or rock arrangements like other larger species may do when trying to hide. When keeping this Wrasse, or any others that bury themselves, it is important to keep the substrate cleaned and maintained regularly, as this fish can easily pick up internal and external bacterial and fungal infections from detritus build up in the sand or gravel. Is a non-aggressive species that is compatible with other fishes and is safe with corals, but may be a threat to fanworms, small hermit crabs, snails, and ornamental shrimps. It is interesting to watch this fish, as you may observe it flipping small rocks or stones over in search of food.
Diet & Feeding: The Ornate Wrasse is a carnivore. Its main diet consists of small crustaceans and invertebrates. In captivity it well feed on meaty fares such as fresh or frozen seafoods, dried, frozen or live brine and mysid shrimp, live grass shrimp, as well as flake foods. Recommended to feed several times a day.

scarf_ace1981 07-31-2006 10:26 AM

i currently have two: carpenter flasher and a yellow fin fairy. i only have a pic of the flasher
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...y/DSCN1435.jpg

House of Laughter 07-31-2006 10:26 AM

Chris,

Good choice - we recently put one of these into a MR members tank and know he loves it.

I personally have 3 wrasses - a red leapard, a Hoevens and a 6 line - the first two are more exotic and have awesome habits - can't beat them for tank diversity and personality.

If I could have a tank with only wrasses, I would.

Pics coming later on.

House

JRod 07-31-2006 11:12 AM

I love wrasses, great personality.

Have a christmas wrasse and a hooded wrasse. Just sold off my flasher wrasse and solar fairy wrasse. Had the Labouti but he mysteriously disappeared-claimed to the reef.

Planning on getting 2 or 3 more when I upgrade.

prattreef 07-31-2006 11:17 AM

These are all great fish, but I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your tank tightly covered with most of these species. They are big time jumpers.... the Halichoeres sp.(Christmas, Hovens etc.) less so, but still a risk. It is not a matter of if, but when with the fairies and flashers.

Randy

scarf_ace1981 07-31-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prattreef
These are all great fish, but I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your tank tightly covered with most of these species. They are big time jumpers.... the Halichoeres sp.(Christmas, Hovens etc.) less so, but still a risk. It is not a matter of if, but when with the fairies and flashers.

Randy

agreed. i have my tank covered and my mccosker flasher managed to sqeeze out of a 1" opening. sad , so sad.

heuerfan 07-31-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prattreef
They are big time jumpers.... It is not a matter of if, but when with the fairies and flashers.

Randy

Randy is absolutely right, keep them tanks covered if you want to keep your F&F wrasses, i had a very costly lesson :(

heuerfan 07-31-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris288
I've also got a pair of sixline wrasses (

Make sure your new wrasses are bigger than the sixlines, especially if you get flashers. Your sixlines will become very teritorial.

scarf_ace1981 07-31-2006 11:37 AM

sixline= mean fiesty buggers

in my new 90 i would like:

hawaiin flame
exquisite fairy
laboutei
lineatus
lubbock
yellow fin fairy
carpenter flasher

Breezp 07-31-2006 11:54 AM

i have a carpenter and i saw him for the first two days and i have not seen him since... mayb he jumped out and fed my cat, who knows.... but anyways i think that wrasses are a must have if you have a reef, if your looking for a fish to add a certain look to a tank, a wrasse is a way to go... i ordered one of those christmas wrasses for my store and it sold the next day... however now i am looking for a hawaiian flame wrasse :biggrin: