Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
chicks dig beckett men
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Wrasses

Here's another type of fish which seems to be gaining in popularity. I've got a special interest in this since if I do decide to get anymore fish, I would like wrasses. Let's see what you got and your experience with their compatibility. BTW, I've also got a pair of sixline wrasses (can't get a pic... too fast) who don't seem to pay attention to anything in the tank except eachother and food.
This is my christmas wrasse
Quote:
Other Common Names: Christmas Wrasse.
Hawaiian Names: O-hu-a, La-'o, and Pa-'a-we'la.
Scientific Name: Halichoeres ornatissimus (Garrett, 1863).
Distribution: Includes the Hawaiian area, Johnston Island, and central Polynesia.
Average Size: To about 7 inches.
Minimum Tank Size Suggested: 55 gallons.
Habitat: Bottom-dweller; mainly found around sandy areas with coral rubble and stones present.
Identification: The head is red marked with horizontal green lines; the throat and belly are blue; each scale is marked by a vertical, cresent-shaped stripe followed by blue. The dorsal fin is dark red with a row of dark green oblong shaped spots on the lower part of the fin; the outer part is marked with a green band; the far outside edge of the fin is trimmed with a very thin blue line; two black spots are present on the dorsal fin, and a small, vertical, black mark is just behind the eye, which is a significant marking when identifying this species. When this fish is under tank lights, the green bands have an almost pearlescent appearance. Because of its red and green colors, this fish is often referred to as a Christmas Wrasse. However, the Thalassoma trilobatum species is the "true" Christmas Wrasse, with the male species of Thalassoma purpureum (Surge or Purple Wrasse) being nearly identical.
Characteristics & Compatibility: As with most Wrasses, the Ornate Wrasse buries itself in the sand when frightened or while sleeping at night for protection. Because this Wrasse does not grow very big, it is a nice species to have in an aquarium. It will not make a mess out of your decorations or rock arrangements like other larger species may do when trying to hide. When keeping this Wrasse, or any others that bury themselves, it is important to keep the substrate cleaned and maintained regularly, as this fish can easily pick up internal and external bacterial and fungal infections from detritus build up in the sand or gravel. Is a non-aggressive species that is compatible with other fishes and is safe with corals, but may be a threat to fanworms, small hermit crabs, snails, and ornamental shrimps. It is interesting to watch this fish, as you may observe it flipping small rocks or stones over in search of food.
Diet & Feeding: The Ornate Wrasse is a carnivore. Its main diet consists of small crustaceans and invertebrates. In captivity it well feed on meaty fares such as fresh or frozen seafoods, dried, frozen or live brine and mysid shrimp, live grass shrimp, as well as flake foods. Recommended to feed several times a day.
Attached Thumbnails

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature

Last edited by loismustdie; 07-31-2006 at 10:35 AM..
Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Reefer Ratings: (67 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
i currently have two: carpenter flasher and a yellow fin fairy. i only have a pic of the flasher
Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (163 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
Chris,

Good choice - we recently put one of these into a MR members tank and know he loves it.

I personally have 3 wrasses - a red leapard, a Hoevens and a 6 line - the first two are more exotic and have awesome habits - can't beat them for tank diversity and personality.

If I could have a tank with only wrasses, I would.

Pics coming later on.

House

Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I love wrasses, great personality.

Have a christmas wrasse and a hooded wrasse. Just sold off my flasher wrasse and solar fairy wrasse. Had the Labouti but he mysteriously disappeared-claimed to the reef.

Planning on getting 2 or 3 more when I upgrade.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:17 AM
RM Staff:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (36 (97%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
These are all great fish, but I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your tank tightly covered with most of these species. They are big time jumpers.... the Halichoeres sp.(Christmas, Hovens etc.) less so, but still a risk. It is not a matter of if, but when with the fairies and flashers.

Randy
Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by prattreef
These are all great fish, but I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your tank tightly covered with most of these species. They are big time jumpers.... the Halichoeres sp.(Christmas, Hovens etc.) less so, but still a risk. It is not a matter of if, but when with the fairies and flashers.

Randy
agreed. i have my tank covered and my mccosker flasher managed to sqeeze out of a 1" opening. sad , so sad.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Reefer Ratings: (93 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by prattreef
They are big time jumpers.... It is not a matter of if, but when with the fairies and flashers.

Randy
Randy is absolutely right, keep them tanks covered if you want to keep your F&F wrasses, i had a very costly lesson
Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Reefer Ratings: (93 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris288
I've also got a pair of sixline wrasses (
Make sure your new wrasses are bigger than the sixlines, especially if you get flashers. Your sixlines will become very teritorial.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Send a Private Message
sixline= mean fiesty buggers

in my new 90 i would like:

hawaiin flame
exquisite fairy
laboutei
lineatus
lubbock
yellow fin fairy
carpenter flasher

Last edited by scarf_ace1981; 07-31-2006 at 11:59 AM..
Old 07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Reef Geek
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
i have a carpenter and i saw him for the first two days and i have not seen him since... mayb he jumped out and fed my cat, who knows.... but anyways i think that wrasses are a must have if you have a reef, if your looking for a fish to add a certain look to a tank, a wrasse is a way to go... i ordered one of those christmas wrasses for my store and it sold the next day... however now i am looking for a hawaiian flame wrasse

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/fish/14901-wrasses.html
Posted By For Type Date
Wrasses - Page 3 - Reefs.com This thread Refback 10-05-2013 07:53 PM
Wrasses - Page 35 - Reefs.com This thread Refback 10-03-2013 11:38 PM
Pictures - bass - chalk This thread Refback 08-28-2011 11:51 AM
Wrasse Definition. Crossword Dictionary. This thread Refback 10-29-2010 07:24 AM
Aquarium Advice :: View Topic - anyone had these? This thread Refback 11-23-2007 11:22 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 10-24-2007 09:22 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 10-10-2006 10:25 PM