E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank that I'm going to setup as a FOWLR. I'd like to keep one fish as the centerpiece. The problem is, the fish I want will all outgrow a 90 (IE: Clown Trigger, Emperor Angel, Personifer Angel, etc) pretty quickly.

That said, I'm looking for suggestions... If you were to pick one fish for a 90 gallon, what would you choose?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's pretty aggressive but I would get a Passer Angel. They don't grow anywhere as large as the other bigger Angels in that family and they're always right out in the open. They're also very hardy and eat pretty much everything. You can buy a small Juv and have it in that tank for years and years. This is my go to fish, always have them in my tanks.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'll take a look at the Passer angel. I'm not worried about aggression because it will likely be the only fish. I am a bit concerned with their size. I've read they do not like smaller confines and don't adjust well.

As for the emperor, although I'd love one, it's not how I do things. We get attached to fish and I don't feel it's right to start out with the eventual plan of selling / re-homing a fish.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have a small Passer, which I brought as a Juv, in a 75 gal tank for over 20 years and it was never a problem. They're pretty bullet proof and usually eat everything. You want to get a small Juv, which because of where they come from can take sometime, they're usually are seasonal, so you need to be on the look out for them when they show up.

The funny think is a long time ago I brought a replacement, small Juv, as I figure at some point in time the one that I had would die and I want to have one when it happen. Turned out 10 years later and the first one was still alive and the replacement, which went in my large fish tank, growth really big.

Last edited:

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Passer with me for 15 years or so. I stopped counting. I lucked out and got a very passive one. My Emperor and blue ring are more dominant in the tank. They are great fish and very hardy. Mine is about 8 inches now and just seems to be getting fatter but not longer.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
As for the emperor, although I'd love one, it's not how I do things. We get attached to fish and I don't feel it's right to start out with the eventual plan of selling / re-homing a fish.

I think Passer gets just as big as Emperors? Honestly your 90 gallon would be perfect for a single juv emp, it would take many years to get to full grown size.

I love both fish, but would pick the Emp.

Just my 2 cents.......

REEF MANIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
If you want I will trade you my 125 Gallon for your 90 gallon if you can pick up and deliver the 90 gallon. You can even take the 125 first and transfer your fish and rock first. I'm looking for a smaller tank to make my QT.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank that I'm going to setup as a FOWLR. I'd like to keep one fish as the centerpiece. The problem is, the fish I want will all outgrow a 90 (IE: Clown Trigger, Emperor Angel, Personifer Angel, etc) pretty quickly.

That said, I'm looking for suggestions... If you were to pick one fish for a 90 gallon, what would you choose?

Hi Eric

If I was only able to keep one fish it would be a Clown Trigger ( I know too big) What I really like is the coloration stays with the fish and they have tremendous personalities,not with other tankmates but with their owners

I also believe many fish will grow to the tank and angelfish have great personalities, I had and Emperor that grew to 9in in a 120 and had full adult coloration and streamers

The problem with the one fish is you want a fish that will be interactive with you. Maybe a Tusk?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
If you want I will trade you my 125 Gallon for your 90 gallon if you can pick up and deliver the 90 gallon. You can even take the 125 first and transfer your fish and rock first. I'm looking for a smaller tank to make my QT.

Thank you for the offer. I think the 90 is going to be sufficient for now.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Hi Eric

If I was only able to keep one fish it would be a Clown Trigger ( I know too big) What I really like is the coloration stays with the fish and they have tremendous personalities,not with other tankmates but with their owners

I also believe many fish will grow to the tank and angelfish have great personalities, I had and Emperor that grew to 9in in a 120 and had full adult coloration and streamers

The problem with the one fish is you want a fish that will be interactive with you. Maybe a Tusk?

Hi Andy, thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning toward an angelfish because they're my favorite for FOWLR setups. I've always wanted an Emperor angel as well. I'm not ruling out a larger tank in a few years but not yet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: