marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
I know it is against the rules to keep almost any smirk in s reef tank, but I am super eager to house atleast one of these beauties...can anyone post any positive experiences with ankles and reef...if so what species and size is best to take a chance with. would love to go all out and get a medium/large queen angel if anyone st all has had a positive experience. I have a lot of high end sps, and may not mind the occasional nipping if that's the worst of it.

125 elos, mixed reef, current fish stock is sailfin, 5 anthias, pr of clowns

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
A lot of people have Angel in their reef tank, so it's not against the rules, you just need to watch in case they start to eat your corals. The smaller ones do very well, like Flames, and Regals are pretty good too, thought they will most likely eat your Zoas. Plenty of people keep Emperors and Queens, and if you can put up with the possible nipping, then I wouldn't worry about it. The only worry I would have with these two is the size of the tank, is the 125 a 4' or 6' tank?

The Blue Face is a smaller angel that would work and you could also get a small Asfer, both would be OK, though there is no guarantee about nipping or not.

Last edited:

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I have an emperor, he will eat all zoas within seconds and will nip at other ransoms but leaves sps alone entirely. He leaves 95%+ coral alone, worth it IMO. He's one of my favorites

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Fish from the order genicanthus are by far the only truly reef safe angelfish. Amazing angels, I used to have a pair of wantanabeis, now I have Bellus and I love that fish. They are open water feeders and do not nip at anything. They come from deep water so be careful when chosing a specim3n, some come unhealthy and die soon after introducing into the tank.
You can try some of the dwarf angels, but there's always a risk they nay nipnat something. I've had a pygmy angelfish long time ago that was a modern citizen but not all of them are unfortunately.
Good luck!

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
I've always wanted a queen or regal...but I know regals are hard to feef.and they only eat frozen foods. I rather my fish be hearty and happy with flakes and pellets (to keep nitrates/phos low). I may go for a medium queen!!!! I may not mind the occasional sps nipping, I thnk i wound mind the constant grazing on zoas...because 25% of my tank are zoas.

I personally had many angels in my reef tanks over the years. Currently I have a Lamarck, Swallowtail, Flame, Coral Beauty and Blue Pigmy. In the past I also had a Regal, Potters and Eibli angels.

Of all of them there were only two who had minor hiccups with reef compatibility and those were the Regal and Flame. I noticed them pick at a few things a couple times but never caused any great damage.

Overall, I think any of the dwarf angels are safe for the most and as previously mentioned the Genicanthus angels are also pretty safe. I've always wanted a Majestic angel but I don't know what that would be like.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I personally had many angels in my reef tanks over the years. Currently I have a Lamarck, Swallowtail, Flame, Coral Beauty and Blue Pigmy. In the past I also had a Regal, Potters and Eibli angels.

Of all of them there were only two who had minor hiccups with reef compatibility and those were the Regal and Flame. I noticed them pick at a few things a couple times but never caused any great damage.

Overall, I think any of the dwarf angels are safe for the most and as previously mentioned the Genicanthus angels are also pretty safe. I've always wanted a Majestic angel but I don't know what that would be like.
i had a majestic for 4 years and was totally my favorite fish never touched anything looking for another one but i have not found one that looked good enough to buy.fortumnato let me know when toy are trimming your chaeto ill buy some from you

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I was always believed that an Angel(except for Genicanthus species) in a reef would be a bad idea, but after meeting and talking to John Coppolino a few years ago convinced me to try other species of Angels. Most have been hit or miss with corals, but in a large tank damage is minimal and not noticed in my tank except for the lack of PE on my SPS.

jlm080307

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I had a flame angel in my tank and all my SPS had poor PE. Never saw him nipping but I suspected that was the cause. He decided to jump out of my tank and since then the PE is great! Agreed, hit or miss.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
just wanted to give you guys a heads up::
after much thought I decided to purchase a juvi regal, Singapore, and coral beauty anjel at the same time. the Singapore nipped on two out of my 4 acans colonies, here and there. I ended up selling two of my colonies and left 2 for him to graze on. other than that, everything is wuite peaceful so far. it has been a week. I feed a sube of music everyday.

I love them..and am super glad I took the chance. my tank is pictured, I'm super stocked with mixed corals.

thanks everyone for their input

Attachments

• 20170708_134547.jpg
    20170708_134547.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 223

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: