jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Was hoping to get some thoughts about my Black Cap Jawfish. He has these clear spots all over his fins. I'm not sure what they are? Was thinking bacterial but not sure. I had him in qt for a month was treated for ich and flukes with cupermine and prazi. These spots didn't develop until he was put in the DT. He's been in the DT for 5 days. He hasn't made a borrow yet. Might be getting picked on a bit by clowns but not sure. He is eating well, breathing is fine but spending a lot of time swimming.

Attachments

• IMG_6564.jpg
    IMG_6564.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_6565.jpg
    IMG_6565.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 252

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Are you sure those are spots? It looks like a piece of the tail is missing and the top fin is missing too. Is something attacking it? It's strange that it hasn't found a hole or started to dig a barrow yet, which could be something is bother it. I would have thought that once the lights were out it would have built a barrow, you should place a small piece of PVC in the tank, which it should go into.

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns were attacking but that was because it was in their territory. He has since moved. He has made a crater like borrow in the sand. Kind of strange that it's not by rock. Does't seem very permanent I'm wondering if it could be caused by using tail to create a borrow in the sand?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It will keep moving around until it finds a place it likes, so there is a good change you're going to have a number of borrows in the tank. The missing pieces on the tail and back fin are common and look like they come from being nipped at. The tail should grow back without a problem but just watch for the back fin as if it get bitten too much you could lose the fish from it.

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a little help (for me) he wound up making a nice borrow this morning. It's in a good spot and look like he's finally comfortable and it's going to last (fingers crossed). Guess I'll just keep an eye on the tail. Thanks for the thoughts!! Much appreciated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: