Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 PM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
He hasn't answered one email that I have sent in the last 2 months since people have mentioned his business on R2R a while back.
Not saying anything bad about him, as a matter of fact I applaud his endeavor but he's been absent from R2R and well, if you don't have a working website and don't reply for request of product then......

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 12-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Reefer Ratings: (23 (90%)
Friends: (26)
Send a Private Message
If you want I can give you his number or relay a message for you
Old 12-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
Well I just sent Bobby another email to see what he has available.
Will see if I get a response, thanks.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
I would suggest advanced marine. As already stated throughout this thread it is hard for LFS to take the proper amount of time to QT fish. I will say I have bought a decent amount of fish from Andrew and nick over the last two years and I have never had a sick fish from them or a fish get sick. Everything is always healthy and eating like pigs.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
Well I just sent Bobby another email to see what he has available.
Will see if I get a response, thanks.
Please let us know if you hear back. Very interested
Any idea where he is located? Would it be local pickup for nyc area?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
I quarantine and treat all my fish. some fish are not good in copper.
I just followed https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ho...antine.189815/
and
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fi...-chart.283450/

Dam
Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
You should QT all of your fish regardless of where they come from, but you should only treat them when you see that the fish has something, and then treat with the correct medication or method.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 AM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanwarrior View Post
Advanced Marine runs low levels of copper. Salgado runs low levels of prazi. +1 to your own system. get a small 20G with a sponge filter, bubbler, heater and ammonia badge. seed the sponge for a month or so with good bacteria. Many good forums on R2R on QT procedures. I fought the prospect of QT for the longest time due to lack of space and laziness, and luckily I haven't had a disease outbreak, but I knew it was only a matter of time so I took the plunge. I feel much better about buying a $225 Achilles tang last week now =)

It really is impossible for LFS to QT their fish. To make any sort of profit in this hobby for them, turnover is the biggest factor. IME, those 2 places I mentioned have the cleanest fish but nothing is ever a slam dunk.
Entirely inaccurate statement. Giving lfs the pass for not quarantining is awful. They could run adequate levels of copper, rather than just enough to mask anything. Sorry but profit and live animals should not be in the same sentence. I believe there I a market for places to do it the right way, even if it is more expensively,’although I don’t think most customers are bright enough to see that, and rather get it cheap and buy it 3 times after it keeps dying.

Bobby Miller is figuring it out with his humble fish start up. That takes off I think a lot of these “lfs” are in trouble
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Reefer Always Learning
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltykid85 View Post
Entirely inaccurate statement. Giving lfs the pass for not quarantining is awful. They could run adequate levels of copper, rather than just enough to mask anything. Sorry but profit and live animals should not be in the same sentence. I believe there I a market for places to do it the right way, even if it is more expensively,’although I don’t think most customers are bright enough to see that, and rather get it cheap and buy it 3 times after it keeps dying.

Bobby Miller is figuring it out with his humble fish start up. That takes off I think a lot of these “lfs” are in trouble
Not sure why you singled out my comment to claim inaccurate when many others have agreed. Never once did I give a store "a pass." This is the time we live in. Take ownership of your own animal and QT to your own standards. I hope one day we buy tank raised of every fish, but we still are ok buying fish that are knocked out with chemicals or stunned with explosives, shipped thousands of miles in plastic bags and then subjected to who knows what kind of diseases at wholesalers.
To stay profitable, stores must turn over their products. Plain and simple capitalistic society we live in. Is it right? No. These are animals we are talking about. Living things. I praise Humblefish's effort and I've learned much about QT from him. But, for example, if a QT'd Achilles from him costs $750, and it sits there for months because no one buys it, meanwhile he loses 2 of them because theyve passed due to disease, he's out a TON of money he could've made had he sold as is. Most business owners are going to go for the profit margin, not the humane approach.