• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey everyone, I guess i jinx myself after talking about ick a few days age, anyway my 125 gallon tank got ick pretty bad, my emp. angel looks horrible [ completely covered with ick, lion has it pretty bad too ] my other tang is getting it and my pork puffer has it all over him too. My dragon eel hasn't come out or eating in about 3 days.

I don't have a big enough hosp tank to treat them....what do i do.... the tank is a fowlr. Can / should I just treat the tank with formalin.

Bueller

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you're sure it's ich you could try Hyposalty. Otherwise you can start to treat with Copper, just get a good test kit. Just watch out for the Lion Fish if you treat with Copper as it mayn't take to it very well.

I guess you lost the gamble, always QT your fish.

Last edited:

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Do not copper the tank if you have live rock in there. I have a 180 FOWLR myself and was battling a minor ick outbreak a few weeks ago. What I did was lower the salinity a little at a time to about 1.18, raise the temperature to 86 (a little at a time), kept the lights in the tank off for a whole week. While I was doing this I added Marine RXP, which has worked for me in the past (try not to overdose or you will lose a fish or two as I did). If you don't have a UV, get one as this helps with the battle! Also try to soak their food in Garlic extract b4 u feed them. Good luck!

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks, sounds like the plan i will go for, wife will kill me if i go get another tank for hosp purpose. i have a 36 watt uv on the tank....looks like it did sh%t!

bueller

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First a UV isn't going to get rid of the ich, so if you don't have one now don't waste your time getting one now. It good to have in the future though. As for using Marine RXP, you can't use it with Lion Fish.

Unless you can take the fish out of the tank, and treat them in a separate tank, your best bet is to treat with Copper. Using Copper with LR will not cause a problem, especially since this isn't a reef tank.

Lowering the SG to 1.18 doesn't do anything to kill the ich, outside of maybe giving the fish some relief.

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
First a UV isn't going to get rid of the ich, so if you don't have one now don't waste your time getting one now. It good to have in the future though. As for using Marine RXP, you can't use it with Lion Fish.

Unless you can take the fish out of the tank, and treat them in a separate tank, your best bet is to treat with Copper. Using Copper with LR will not cause a problem, especially since this isn't a reef tank.

Lowering the SG to 1.18 doesn't do anything to kill the ich, outside of maybe giving the fish some relief.

Just saying what worked for me. As far as coppering the whole tank, I think this is bad advice cause if he ever wanted to convert the tank into a reef, all those rocks go to waste (at least that's what some people think).

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I feed my fishes garlic soaked food. I am just telling you what worked for me. I got a regal tang, it got ick, my other fishes got ick. I was panicking, then I used garlic extream to soak my fish food. Ick went out in about 1 week. I put about 6 drops to the food in a 55 gal tank. You may need a bigger dose.

Yili

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have rxp at home [bought it but haven't used it yet ] i was also told to get kick - ick. Has anyone used it? is it garbage... will do the garlic with food. you said it was gone in a week...did it ever come back.

thanks
bueller

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In the past Garlic Extract did miracles for my fish as well. Still the Ick was in the beginner stage and garlic extract was able to cure it by boosting fish metabolism.
It might not be the case in your current situation, but I would strongly suggest Garlic Extract in addition to the treatment.

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
don't know what brought it on, no new fish added, temp always between 79 - 81 0 amm 0 nitrites 0 nitrates sal - 1.022. will get the garlic, it's way past beginning stage after looking at the emp angel. going to try the kick ick, I know it will probably do nothing but it's the only option for now. wish i had a hospital tank big enough. there's no way on getting them out without taking out all the rock [ 150 lbs ] and the dragon eel is nasty...don't really want to chance getting bit.

Just REALLY pissed off right now.

Bueller

Last edited:

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think once ick is in your system, it will always be there. In my case when there is disturbances such as huge temp swing, the fish gets ick again. If you do not over stock; keep the water quality high, the fishes will be immune to ick. I still see my regal blue tang with white dots from time to time, but the garlic extream trick keeps everything very happy.

You will be alright, garlic is all natural. If you use copper meds, it may cause you problem in the long run.

Good luck.

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm going to try the rxp, since i already have it and use the garlic with their food. Hope for the best. I've been doing a 15 to 20 gallon water change every two weeks, Sounds good?

Bueller

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
don't know what brought it on, no new fish added, temp always between 79 - 81 0 amm 0 nitrites 0 nitrates sal - 1.022. will get the garlic, it's way past beginning stage after looking at the emp angel. going to try the kick ick, I know it will probably do nothing but it's the only option for now. wish i had a hospital tank big enough. there's no way on getting them out without taking out all the rock [ 150 lbs ] and the dragon eel is nasty...don't really want to chance getting bit.

Just REALLY pissed off right now.

Bueller

:scratch:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/nyaquatic/25869-thanks-mike.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: