• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I just bought a Clownfish from Petco yesterday (yes stupid me). I am curious as to his behavior. In the daytime he is perfectly fine and swims around and follows the other clownfish quite well.

At night, he would hang out near the overflow box with the other clown and after I turn on the light... he would swim on his side and even sometimes be on the floor. I tap the glass a bit and then he is up and running again. What is going on?

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
Chances are it's a sick fish but the other marine biologists might chime in.
smilie.gif

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I just bought a Clownfish from Petco yesterday (yes stupid me). I am curious as to his behavior. In the daytime he is perfectly fine and swims around and follows the other clownfish quite well.

At night, he would hang out near the overflow box with the other clown and after I turn on the light... he would swim on his side and even sometimes be on the floor. I tap the glass a bit and then he is up and running again. What is going on?

It might be hosting the overflow box, fishes need their sleep too!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
It might be hosting the overflow box, fishes need their sleep too!

Gotta agree with JD here. Probably just sleeping. If the fish is fine in the day, I wouldnt worry. If he's just there swaying next to the overflow box, just leave him. Don't tap the glass to wake him up.

Petco isn't THAT bad if you know how to pick your fish. My two clowns both came from Petco and their still fine months later.

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Petco isn't THAT bad if you know how to pick your fish. My two clowns both came from Petco and their still fine months later.

Gotta agree with Kris, my anthias from petco eat like beasts.. they even fed them to let me see if they are feeding before i bought them

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My clowns play dead when I'm curious at night and shine my flashlight on them looking around. It seems like something they do if scared or unsure of their habitat. Sounds like he has to adjust, just be careful as he seems very stressed.

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Fish from this Petco

Hey I usually don't buy from them, but this particular store and guy seems to be on top of things.

I bought two false percula's the other day, and they are looking fine in my QT tank.

Some of the things I look for are. How long the fish have been in their system. Visual cues - swimming erractic, heavy breathing etc.

- Will keep you posted, but they should do fine. Give it time.

Petco near roosevelt field mall. The guy in Fish Department was really helpful though! Just that it's weird my other clown doesn't act like this. Perhaps it's because he is a bit bigger.

fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my theory for this common behavior.. The clownfish thinks it is stuck in a tidepool, He is sleeping near the surface so when High tide comes in he will be swept back out to the reef by the rising water.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My clown came from Petgoods, one of the best clowns I've ever had ... Sleeps vertical in the corner of the tank, and hosts the sand bed lol .. kicks up any sand in the corner if he sees some there ... :eek:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Really... I fed them in the morning they both seemed to eat. I fed them right now and just the big one eats.

Here is a size comparison... I named them Ben and Jerry lol
DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: