Joeballz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would perfer people who own triggers or have had experiences with them to answer this. Triggers are my favorite fish. Does anyone in here have multiple triggers in the same tank? people say they will fight but if you ask me any fish can fight if they want to based on there situation. I have a 46g bow tank and i was possibly going to buy 3 different very small triggers to put in it and thats it nothing else. Now my local fish store (Aquahut) who is fairly reputable have multiple triggers in the same tank and they claim they usually dont have any issues. Please let me know your inputs.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i think a 46gal is 2 small for multiple triggers let alone 1.they do get laqrge and create alot of waste.so even if u get 3 in the tank u better make sure u have a great skimmer.and be prepared to sell them in 6 months cause they do get large quickly.LFS keep theres in a same setup cause usually they are not in there for 2 long.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
As posted already a 46gal tank is too small for a trigger fish. As for keeping more then 1 trigger together in the same tank. Well it depends on what type of triggers you're keeping. There are a couple that are very aggressive, like the Queen and Titan, that make it very hard to keep other trigger and even fish in the same tank as they get larger and nasty. While other triggers, like the Hummu Hummu, Black Durgen, Niger and Blue Throats, are somewhat less aggressive and can be mixed together. You do need a good size tank, at least 6' and at least a 200gal, but even then you're going to get fighting and a pecking order will develop over time. Then again any 10" - 12" trigger is going to be very aggressive, especially at feeding time.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You're right there usually is a pecking order, especially when you have aggressive fish, but not will all fish though. Every fish is looking for its place in the tank and in some cases the fish become more aggressive the larger the tank is, a grouper is a fish like that. In some case though a pecking order can't develop and you wind up with one fish and a bunch of torn up or dead fish. In the case of triggers it usually develops into fighting, mostly during feeding because of how triggers eat, not to mention their big sharp teeth.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
humma hummas are agressive. a 46 is too small for a trigger let alone 3 like said above. the reef safe triggers would be more recomended to be put together if you do decide to do it go with them. The triggers with the up pitched mouthes are the more peacefull(not guatanteed) would be niger, blue throat, croshatch etc....

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Well said everyone ,i'm a Triggerfish lover myself and all i have to say is if you decide to get one watch your fingers.
:eat:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
As posted already a 46gal tank is too small for a trigger fish. As for keeping more then 1 trigger together in the same tank. Well it depends on what type of triggers you're keeping. There are a couple that are very aggressive, like the Queen and Titan, that make it very hard to keep other trigger and even fish in the same tank as they get larger and nasty. While other triggers, like the Hummu Hummu, Black Durgen, Niger and Blue Throats, are somewhat less aggressive and can be mixed together. You do need a good size tank, at least 6' and at least a 200gal, but even then you're going to get fighting and a pecking order will develop over time. Then again any 10" - 12" trigger is going to be very aggressive, especially at feeding time.

+1 and if I may add.. Being a trigger lover as well and having housed the majority of them from one time to another.....Some do mix very well...However I would not put multiple triggers in a 46 gallon period. Now as far as a juvenile by all means as long as you have a plan for them as soon as they outgrow it which will be sooner than you think. In addtion, also stay away from undulated as well...these along with queens and titans should be left alone unfurtunately. With that being said I have housed crosshatches, bluethroats and sargasums together with great long term success....which happen to be the most docile of the bunch. Out of all the triggers I have had the most success with Crosshatches, sargasum, bluethroat,niger, pinktail in maintaining these together. There is no gaurantee..and no two fish are alike even from the same group...You may have a niger that is mild mannered and you may have one that is a little devil...I have had this happen as well....So once again be careful and only attempt putting them together after you have done enough reserch and house them in the appropriate tank, enough places to hide and call home and feed enough to also keep them happy...Also always purchase them as juvis....

Just my 2 cents

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 triggers

Hello Mate

Iam new to this forum, just joined as I saw your post, I am from Scotland but live in Ireland now. I have 3 trigger fish in my tank, It is a 400gallon one mind you, they all live together nicely, I introduced them at different times and never had a problem, they are a red toothed trigger about 6inches, a pink tailed trigger(newest one) he is about 4 inches and also a Picasso trigger about 4 inches as well, all doing well and been living together for about 2 years now.
Hope this helps, your tank sounds a bit small to house more than 2, you will need to make sure they have good hiding places to sleep so they feel secure.
good luck

Gary Logan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: