• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

stage3-S4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
clarion angel at HOF for $4500. They had 2 of them, sold one. The other is in there show tank across the street. They also had a Neptune grouper, I belive it was the only one in the states sold it for $8900.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
price doesnt equal rarity for me, example to me of a rare fish, i have been after a red sea 8 line flsher for almost 3 years, i am on several site's as wait list and still havent gotten one, and this is a fish at max goes for $200

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
heres a true rare fish, its a hybrid of a lemon peel and an eibli angel

tiger_pyge2.jpg

D

DA fisherman

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Jesussss just when I Tought my tomato clown was Exotic j/k :)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

stage3-S4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
price doesnt equal rarity for me, example to me of a rare fish, i have been after a red sea 8 line flsher for almost 3 years, i am on several site's as wait list and still havent gotten one, and this is a fish at max goes for $200

You're right price doesn't equal rarity. But Clarion Angels are very rare, you cant really find them anywhere. I think they are illegal to import into the states or at one point they were, not sure if this has changed. The neptune grouper is extremly rare, I have never seen one anywhere except at HOF.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Yes I meant to purchase, I have seen some fish going for a ton of money, and wondering if the price they were asking was due to the fact that they are not caught as often, or if they are hard to catch. I know their are fish that divers risk their lives in catching. Is this why they are considered rare.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Clowns

Id have to go with my clownfish.

A white bonnet clownfish is a mix supposedly of an orangeskunk and a blue stripe.

They are very rare and never show up with the same markings from fish to fish.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
RARECLOWNSNJ said:
Id have to go with my clownfish.

A white bonnet clownfish is a mix supposedly of an orangeskunk and a blue stripe.

They are very rare and never show up with the same markings from fish to fish.

I would love to see pics of ur clowns

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
jewel tangs or jem tangs are rare and pricy...
i know the clairon angel is at absolute fish all the time, going for 3500.
purple hairy rhino i think goes for over 1000.
christmas island fish are pricy. like the triggers and angels start at 800 from their for a good size.
saragassum trigger, not sure on price range but ive never seen one for sale.
Holanthias fuscipennis anthias can go for over 1800.
Bodianus sanguines Sunset Wrasse goes for 1500.
white cap gobys around 1000.
armitage angel fish is 1000.
candy basslets got for around 900.

for fresh water i know platinum arowana are like 80,000! i saw an article awhile back on them...

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Generally, the REALLY pricey fish are due to a combination of remote location of habitat -- hard to get to places and thus rare and expensive collection trips, depth issues -danger and logistics ( probably the most common reason for the big $$ fish), odd color morphs that just aren't encountered often, and sporadic allocation of collection permits ( Clarion situation), Geo political dangers ( Red Sea) Also, Australian and Hawaiian stuff costs more because we are dealing with 1st world economies and thus 1st world costs regarding facilities, salaries etc.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
ryangrieder said:
jewel tangs or jem tangs are rare and pricy...
i know the clairon angel is at absolute fish all the time, going for 3500.
purple hairy rhino i think goes for over 1000.
christmas island fish are pricy. like the triggers and angels start at 800 from their for a good size.
saragassum trigger, not sure on price range but ive never seen one for sale.
Holanthias fuscipennis anthias can go for over 1800.
Bodianus sanguines Sunset Wrasse goes for 1500.
white cap gobys around 1000.
armitage angel fish is 1000.
candy basslets got for around 900.

for fresh water i know platinum arowana are like 80,000! i saw an article awhile back on them...

Lol I'll take one of each

stage3-S4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Generally, the REALLY pricey fish are due to a combination of remote location of habitat -- hard to get to places and thus rare and expensive collection trips, depth issues -danger and logistics ( probably the most common reason for the big $$ fish), odd color morphs that just aren't encountered often, and sporadic allocation of collection permits ( Clarion situation), Geo political dangers ( Red Sea) Also, Australian and Hawaiian stuff costs more because we are dealing with 1st world economies and thus 1st world costs regarding facilities, salaries etc.

well put

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: