mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
tank is a 125 with 40 sump been running healthy for about 6 months. plenty of green algae but no coraline. calcium is at 420. do i have to introduce some? what do i need to do? running 4 65w power compacts 10000k and actinics 5050

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
i got my coraline after dosing with mag and cal and two med pieces of rock from manhattan aquariums!! but if you need coraline to grow from a rock then how does coraline begin in the first place???? ( i mention the rock cause other than dosing, it was the only other thing i had added)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It is faster to 'seed' a tank with coralline scrapings from a rock that has the color coralline you want (it does come in a number of colors), than to just wait for it to develop naturally.
..and your parameters should be spot on to help it grow quicker - Ca, Alk & Mg.
Higher flow is also said to help increase coralline growth.

Do not use a product like Purple Up - as that will throw your parameters out of whack as it is not balanced.

...think of it this way - you earn coralline by keeping your water parameters in great shape ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: