gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Our clowns laid some eggs and now were scrambling to figure what to do. I read about reed mariculture, but fear that the supplies will not get to us in time. Please let me know if there's anywhere to get Rotifers and food in northern NJ or manhattan. Thanks!

On a side note they've been nipping away at their host (hammer coral) to make space for their clutch. Should I be concerned about how this might adversely affect my other corals?

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Our clowns laid some eggs and now were scrambling to figure what to do. I read about reed mariculture, but fear that the supplies will not get to us in time. Please let me know if there's anywhere to get Rotifers and food in northern NJ or manhattan. Thanks!

On a side note they've been nipping away at their host (hammer coral) to make space for their clutch. Should I be concerned about how this might adversely affect my other corals?

Hit up JOSH hes one of the MOD's in MR hes breed them before. Btw what kind of clowns are these thou?

Additected To MR =D Lol

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I don't have any rotifers at the moment. If this is the first clutch they have laid I would not try and raise them. You need to have everything in place and know the exact night they will hatch.

Reed Mariculture is your best bet. You can get the 1m Rotifer starter kit. Also, if you wait a little longer Reed will have a new product that will help you with the rotifers.

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thx Angelo. They're standard ocellaris.

Josh, r u saying not to try because the first clutch has a lower probability of surviving or because I'm totally unprepared? If I could get a steady supply of Rotifers, would that work? Tho with a holiday weekend I'm guessing my chances are pretty low.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
First of all, the first clutch of eggs usually has the lowest number of eggs laid as the clowns are still adjusting to the process.

Second, if you have not counted the number of days until the eggs hatch, then you don't know what night they will be ready. So you need to find out how many days they will incubate for.

For the rotifers, remember you will need several hundred thousand to several million rotifers to raise the fry to the point when they will be weaned onto fresh artemia or solid food like otohime. You need to be able to make a LOT of the them.

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thx for all the info Josh. I know that they were laid in Thursday night so from what I read, 8 days is the norm if tank is at 80 degrees. Of course would start monitoring at day 6 just in case.

But like you said, unless I can get my hands on a lot of Rotifers, looks like this clutch is doomed. :(

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I presently have three cultures going, and I can give you some to get started. You also need phytoplankton to feed the rotifers. I can give you some of that too. I just live a little far from you.

That's real kind of you to offer! But you're right you're pretty far from me. Ever in manhattan?

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
There' s a guy in south jersey name steanman he will sell u some just to keep his culture going.you need green water for UR rotifers n it take 1 week to start a culture n u need food for the green algae.try Florida aqua farms n pay for next day air,it would cost more

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Do not buy food for the phyto, get the concentrated stuff from Reef Nutrition. I have a container of it that you can have. You will never be able to concentrate it to the level that they do, it is a complete waste of time, much easier to buy a bottle and be done with it.

Regarding the days, 8 days is the average, but all clowns are different. Mine are on an 8 day schedule. I would move the eggs on the night of the 8th day if you try to take on this first clutch of eggs. If not, just note on the calendar what morning the eggs were gone so you know for the next clutch.

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Do not buy food for the phyto, get the concentrated stuff from Reef Nutrition. I have a container of it that you can have. You will never be able to concentrate it to the level that they do, it is a complete waste of time, much easier to buy a bottle and be done with it.

Regarding the days, 8 days is the average, but all clowns are different. Mine are on an 8 day schedule. I would move the eggs on the night of the 8th day if you try to take on this first clutch of eggs. If not, just note on the calendar what morning the eggs were gone so you know for the next clutch.

Thanks Josh! I may take you up on your offer when I get my supplies in. Sad that all I can do is watch the babies experience the circle of life.

Lento

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rotifer

Hello, everyone I need help, can someone help me to find live rotifer in the New jersey or New york area. I have a pair of maroon clown fish laying egg almost every other week, I will really appreciate if someone can get me with any information. thank you very much

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I got some roti and green water from Reaper before, and is now getting stable in making the green water. I think the first step is to setup your green water culture station ready. I found that you definitely need fertilizer, I was in the assumption that my tank water will have enough nutrients for them but I am SO WRONG! The roti eat so much faster than the aglae can grow. I started with 2:1 ratio and keep the green water without adding fertilizer, the algae die off and eaten in about 10 days to 2 week. Even with fertilizer, I think the minimum ratio is 2:1. I would say 6 : 2 would be OK.

In Florida, we keep 5:1 ratio outdoor.

If keeping too many bottle is an issue, you can get the algae paste, which can be stored in the fridge, from online store. I am ordering fertilizer and fresh water eggs from them, so if you are not in a rush, you can tag along.

If you need some green water NOW to start, I can share some with you.

I am in Flushing 11355. Once a while I go to Manhattan too.

Last edited:

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
For NJ, the only lead I got was from Steamman (central NJ). I ended up ordering from Reed Mariculture, but in hindsight might have been better off getting it from Steamman. I think he would've provided a much higher concentration of rotifers to get started. Like Josh said, it took a while to get my rotifer population high enough.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: