thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I have had my 28g nano running for a while now. Nicely stocked with rock, some fish and mixed corals. I had purchased a ball of chaeto with my clean up crew and put it in the media basket and have a jbj nano glo light on it.

I changed my filter pad today and noticed that the chaeto is almost melting. From what I have researched, people say that it is because there is nothing left in the tank for the algae to eat and that it is a good thing. I trimmed back all the dead stuff and we will see if it grows back any more.

All fish and corals are doing very nicely.

Death in a tank is usually a bad thing, but is the death of chaeto good? Since it is algae and you really dont want algea????

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
The nano glo is super bright 4 led and every bit of chaeto super lit without a doubt it is enough. Also should mention if it maters I nevr got any type of algae bloom in tank, nor have I gotten any real algae on the glass at all. I have not had to scrub the glass once yet.

I am using ro water. I know that keeps algae growth down

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The nano glo is super bright 4 led and every bit of chaeto super lit without a doubt it is enough. Also should mention if it maters I nevr got any type of algae bloom in tank, nor have I gotten any real algae on the glass at all. I have not had to scrub the glass once yet.

I am using ro water. I know that keeps algae growth down

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

How long has the tank been setup?
Nevermind, I just saw your other thread
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/100722-im-back-28gal-jbj-led.html
Its possible the tank is too new to have nutrients. Seems less then a month which is usually shorter it takes for the cycle to fully establish.

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
How close are the LEDs to the algae? Is the algae turning straight white and falling apart? U may be burning the algae. I have a par 38 bulb about 8 inchs away from a massive ball of cheato and the top layers basically turn white and die. LEDs have a straight focused light source that is pretty intense. How close are the LEDs to the algae?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
How close are the LEDs to the algae? Is the algae turning straight white and falling apart? U may be burning the algae. I have a par 38 bulb about 8 inchs away from a massive ball of cheato and the top layers basically turn white and die. LEDs have a straight focused light source that is pretty intense. How close are the LEDs to the algae?

I've never heard of that. I have 24 LED's, about 1" apart with 40 degree optics on my refugium, probably about 9" from the water, chaeto about 1-2" from the surface and it grows super fast. I find the white strands are new growth where the chlorophyll hasn't fully grown in to give it the green look yet.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
It is not turning white, just melting.

It is weird tho that I am not getting any type of algae growth in that tank, including on the glass, other than some red coraline.

This is not my first tank, and is just puzzling me......

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Ok, but is that a bad thing??? This is new to me with "0" algae growing in the tank....
I would say it a sign that goes either way.

You need to put your sightings in a prospective with how, when and why it happens. Since I am not looking after your tank over the last couple months, I have no way to tell how the trend goes that leads to ZERO algae.

One thing is sure, zero algae mean bad to mandarins as they eat pods who thrive with some algae. So it also depends on what you keep.

If the deficient element is not required in other animals in your tank, I would say it's a good sign but I would also you tank may not be a stable system. A little bit more change in the chemistry may throw it off balance. I recently visit a friend's tank, he has similar problem with you that he cannot keep any cheato in his sump(he differs from you that he has algae on the glass though), some of his corals are opening very good but seems loosing colors in a slow pace. That seems to me a sign of decline.

I would be interested to know what happens to your system in a month of two to see what your sightings a sign of good or bad.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I would say it a sign that goes either way.

You need to put your sightings in a prospective with how, when and why it happens. Since I am not looking after your tank over the last couple months, I have no way to tell how the trend goes that leads to ZERO algae.

One thing is sure, zero algae mean bad to mandarins as they eat pods who thrive with some algae. So it also depends on what you keep.

If the deficient element is not required in other animals in your tank, I would say it's a good sign but I would also you tank may not be a stable system. A little bit more change in the chemistry may throw it off balance. I recently visit a friend's tank, he has similar problem with you that he cannot keep any cheato in his sump(he differs from you that he has algae on the glass though), some of his corals are opening very good but seems loosing colors in a slow pace. That seems to me a sign of decline.

I would be interested to know what happens to your system in a month of two to see what your sightings a sign of good or bad.

Thank you for that explanation!!!

We will see what happens, I will keep you updated on it! My corals could not look at better though, nice and Bright and fully extended.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: