coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
okay..guys i am gettins ome blastos as well as sun coral...i know they need to be fed..how many times a day..how often should i feed the blastos..and sun coral..thnxs..don't want them to :dead1:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Since when do blastos need to be fed. I've had mine over a year and never fed them directly. I'm guessing they should be hungry by now.

Sun Coral on the other hand must be fed 1 - 2 times per week. Chopped up cocktail shrimp, mysis shrimp, daphnia, cyclopeeze, DT's Oyster Eggs, basically standard meaty aquarium fare.

I have a Chili Coral that I have to feed. Similar diet to a sun coral.

Good luck with them. They are beautiful. Which color are you getting? The orange or black?

Russ

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My suncorals rarely go more than 2 days without getting something to eat. Usually they are fed once a day, but they have gone over a week with no big problems. I would try to stick with no more than 2 days with no food, but you'll have better results feeding them every day. I have fed them as many as 3 times in one day, but I don't think you need to go that far.
I feed them cyclopeeze with a plunger most of the time. I try to feed them mysis and other meaty foods at least once a week with a tweezer. Keep in mind that your fish and hermits will eventually learn that this is a chance for them to swipe some extra food. I don't have a problem with the fish, but hermits could get nasty. Keep a tweezer on hand to pluck them off the rock and move them far away from the coral.

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
Masta..i am getting the orange ones from Deep :)..Masta blastos tend to grow if feed faster, i just want these guys to be happy..
thnxs Chris i will try your idea with the tweezer...

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Supplemental feeding of LPS isn't a bad thing IMO. You fish will mop up most of what the corals miss. Just don't over do it. Watch your nutrient levels. Sunflowers however, must be fed. They are non-photosynthetic.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
coralcrazy said:
Masta..i am getting the orange ones from Deep :)..Masta blastos tend to grow if feed faster, i just want these guys to be happy..
thnxs Chris i will try your idea with the tweezer...

I like the orange ones better too Jon. Good luck with them.

Yes LPS does seem to have better growth rates with direct feeding. My LPS get their food when I feed the tank. About once a week I will shut down my pumps and feed the tank with very minimal flow. They all seem to extend nicely for that session.

master

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Do you guys feed blasto m. & blasto w. phyto or another prepared "dead" food?
My blastos don't seem to respond to live phyto, they do however respond to microvert.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: