pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hi All,
I have a 120gal FOLR tank. I know that using RODI water is the best to keep marine algae down in a "Reef" tank.
Has anyone had experience using tap water for the water changes in a Fish only situation? What's your experience and do you recommend it?

thanks,
Peter

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
yes the nitrate would be higher than a reef, but I would perform larger water changes.
The algae will also be eaten by the fox face, snails, and tangs i have in the tank...as long as the algae does not grow out of control.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
I kept a FOWLR for about a year before converting to reef.
No major problems (Bronx tap isn't that bad).
I conditioned the water with Amquel Plus & NovAqua.

I have more problems with algae now, than I had then........& yes I use a RO/DI:grumpy:

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Denos,

I've moved away from a Reef system, but still have RODI unit. It just waste alot of water, when i have to perform water changes.

DaRealdvs1,
when you had the FO tank, you used tap w/ the water conditoner? hmmm i never though of that.

Anyone from NJ has any experience as the water is a bit harder(minerial content) in NJ than NY.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The NJ water is absolutely freakishly horrible. My TDS meter reads 235 - 260. Its that bad. In New York its below 50 for the most part. Lots of filter changes I tell you!!! :irked:

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Can you add a hob refugium, would be good for phosphate removal and create pods for the fish?

Don't think tap water with water conditioner would be a problem, but then again, here in queens we have pretty clean tap water. With a TDS meter i get a reading of 35.

"EDIT" just read hermans post, NJ water is pretty bad, would go with ro/di and also think about the hob fuge, that is what i would do if i had a fowlr.

Good luck,
Steven

nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
hey pmui, i have a reef system...and ive been using tap water this whole time....honestly i didnt even know RODI existed till i joined MR. But yes you are right they waste a lot a water....IN my experience i once had a bad problem of cyano algae..but dosed with red slime remover..and never saw it again... i also had some hair algae on the glass along with diatom algae.....but one i scraped it off it seemed to go away....but yeh it doesnt seem that bad with tap water...

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
pmui said:
yes the nitrate would be higher than a reef, but I would perform larger water changes.

But those water changes will be with high TDS tap water too
vomit-smiley-011.gif

Hotwheels

Hotwheels
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I agree with the common consensus. in NJ u can't get away with it. For years I had a fish only in NY with no major algae problems.
Only when I upgraded My lights did it become a problem or disaster.
(lesson learned)
stick with a basic ro/di and simple lights. Fish don't require High end lights.

can we see some pics of your fish?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: