masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Damn, that's one of the saddest articles I've read in a long time.

I can see it now, in the years to come, it's going to be the reef aquarists that are going to have to re-seed the reefs. Return to them what we've harvested in the past. A sad day for all those century old animals.

Russ

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
:( what can we do to help the damaged reefs. that is the question?

lets go help out and frag some of em before they all die and try to save em..... :idea:

LOL TEE ILL SEE YOU BACK IN CUFFS HAHAHA for taking frags hahahahahaa

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
global warming isn't entirely our fault. It's a well documented cyclical occurrence throughout the geological record. We aren't helping it but it would still happen to some degree with or without us. The hole in the ozone has also been shown to be somewhat of a natural occurrence. I'm not saying not to worry I'm just saying buying a prius isn't going to change much of anything. However, on this note I'll be posting pictures of my soon to be running 420 gallonish frag tank (don't know how much such a tank would help considering the electrical usage). We have dubbed the system "Fragenstein". Hopefully this will be the first of many.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
lfsmarineguy said:
global warming isn't entirely our fault. It's a well documented cyclical occurrence throughout the geological record. We aren't helping it but it would still happen to some degree with or without us. The hole in the ozone has also been shown to be somewhat of a natural occurrence. I'm not saying not to worry I'm just saying buying a prius isn't going to change much of anything. However, on this note I'll be posting pictures of my soon to be running 420 gallonish frag tank (don't know how much such a tank would help considering the electrical usage). We have dubbed the system "Fragenstein". Hopefully this will be the first of many.

You are right its not entirely our fault. But we (humans) accelerate it to an almost exponential level. Check out the new Times magazine this week. Not only are we producing more ozone damaging gases, we are also destroying things that help neutralize these harmful gases (Trees....). When I read articles like this...I get so disheartened. Makes me want to use less paper when wiping my arse and stop taking showers. :Yikes: Seriously though, less gas emission on automobiles by using cleaner fuel would help out the situation...so is recycling and conserving water, indirectly. Hard to do when we have a 120g tank and do a 50% water change if we see the a zoa' polyp not opening up (I'm being sarcastic). Anyways....Sigh....such mix emotions when we're in this hobby, eh?:happysad:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The most recent study shows that in the US (I don't know about other countries) there are more trees present now than when the settlers first arrived. You can't believe everything you read and you absolutely have to understand everything you read. Saying we are destroying trees doesn't necessarily mean we are almost out of trees...it just means we are destroying trees. Scientists have a job too and when they publish papers and do studies they are getting paid to do it. It's the same tactic that the news uses to grab your attention "Is your childs toothbrush slowly killing them? News at 10". You have to really look at what is being said. For instance the title of this news article is "Record death in carribean corals." what does that mean? It just means more died this year than "supposedly" has died before. So, just going on the title alone, if up until this point 20 corals in the entire carribean area died a year and this year 21 died, that is enough to make that title a true statement. You have to read objectively.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
lfsmarineguy said:
The most recent study shows that in the US (I don't know about other countries) there are more trees present now than when the settlers first arrived. You can't believe everything you read and you absolutely have to understand everything you read. Saying we are destroying trees doesn't necessarily mean we are almost out of trees...it just means we are destroying trees. Scientists have a job too and when they publish papers and do studies they are getting paid to do it. It's the same tactic that the news uses to grab your attention "Is your childs toothbrush slowly killing them? News at 10". You have to really look at what is being said. For instance the title of this news article is "Record death in carribean corals." what does that mean? It just means more died this year than "supposedly" has died before. So, just going on the title alone, if up until this point 20 corals in the entire carribean area died a year and this year 21 died, that is enough to make that title a true statement. You have to read objectively.

Wow, you have a very valid point regarding the media, but a bit of an optomists view on the longevity of the coral reefs. The reefs are dying faster than they are reproducing. This is a fact now noted from the Caribbean to the Great Barrier Reef.

Selective hearing when it comes to the media is an absolute must. But when 800 year old reef FOUNDATION corals are dying, the problem is not the media's 'headline license'. The problems are much greater than you are eluding to. Don't dismiss the fact that entire colonies and complete reefs are dying.

Has anything like this happened in the past? I'd be willing to be the ranch it has. But to this extent? I'm not so sure about that. It's only been about 100 years since the industrial revolution. That is probably the cause for the most concern here. The reefs might have had huge die offs centuries ago, but they were also given a better chance for revival/survival. The industrial revolution is just gaining steam, it is not slowing down or reversing. Where do you see the global warming trend changing?

Unfortunately it is going to take a massive global effort to conscientiously cutback on the use of fossil fuels, probably the #1 culprit in the global warming cause and effect.

I'm not a pessimist by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a realist. I do believe the oceans also have some of the greatest regenerative powers on earth. But everything has its limits.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: